77 xs400 starting problems

Alright fellas I am in need of some advice as I have reached something that has stumped me.
All this started with h pipe and pods, fresh battery and synced carbs after each change. Checked valve timing, good. Checked ignition timing, good.

Last post was about loss of power, turned out the bowl gasket was blocking a passage causing that. Modified gasket and it runs but still maxes at 3k.

Started, 145 main and 42 pilot, raised needle one clip position boggy and too rich ro run well. This also put the needle in the last clip position.

Returned needle to previous position, 147.5 main and 45 pilot, same thing too rich to run.

Swapped pilot out for 42 and left the larger main, runs but won't make it past 3k.

Ended up getting the stuff to rebuild the stock air system. Emgo filters and airboxes fitted, same thing. Pegs at 3k.

Did some plug chops and noticed that the lean condition was coming back to more stoic.
20240512_170622.jpg20240512_170628.jpg
Some things I noticed while I had the carbs off, left side carb needle is bent. Must have been from whatever got sucked into the carbs from the PO. Cant find one to save my life, not sure how much performance will be affected but I know it will wear eventually and that will cause issues. Thought maybe the auto advancer for the ignition timing was sticking so I looked into that and it moves freely and returns fine. Even advanced the timing to see if that would help but it didn't. Also of note, riding it when you start to crack the throttle in 1st its not firing evenly and smoothly and it's a little sluggish till it hits 2k and then it pulls pretty hard. Also when you are pushing at 3k, you can feel it pull a little and then stop, pull a little and then stop.

I've got the jets and needle to go bone stock if I have to but I dont think that needle is gonna work.
Truly scratching my head on this one and im at the point to where if you point at a rock and say look under that I will. Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way

Once you crack the throttle open, the carb mixture starts transitioning to the needle jet. That needle and slide control everything until you start getting to WOT where it is all main jet. So, you can change pilot and main jets all day and not fix the issue you have right now. The problem you describe is a mid-range fueling issue. Regardless of the needle you have in the carbs right now, the fact you can't get past 3000rpm is most likely because your slides are not lifting properly.

If you are running those cone pods directly off of the carb bodies, try removing them and just do a test run to see if your mid-range performance improves. The cheap pods block the critical air passage to the underside of the slide diaphragms if they are mounted directly on the carb and will cause this issue. If taking the pods off of the carbs doesn't do anything, then check your diaphragms again for pin holes and tears and make sure the slides operate smoothly in the bores.

Aftermarket needles are probably going to be an issue at some point (The shape of the ones that come in rebuild kits I have seen are really not what this bike will need), but take care of the slide lifting problem first.

20240514_084902.jpg20240514_084857.jpg
Here's the setup I'm running now, stock air system. Wanted to get a baseline so I eliminated all potential problems. I did the light test with the diaphragms to look for tears and holes and they checked out fine. Slides move up and down fairly easily and smoothly. Mix screws are out 3 turns on the right 2.5 on the left. Maybe I need to fiddle with the mix a little. Truly a head scratcher

Dumb question, but how is compression on each cylinder? Also a quick and dirty operational check on the diaphragms you can do is to blow a little compressed air into the ports circled below:
Carb Intake.JPG

If everything is okay, you will see the slides lift.

I havent checked the compression with a gauge as I would have to buy but I've kick started it from cold conditions and hot conditions and you really have to bow up on it to kick it over.
I havent blown air into it but I just did a drop test with some Teflon tape and my thumb. Pushed them up and covered the hole, both gradually return home. One a little faster than the other. I guess I need to look a little closer at the diaphragms.
Oh I did just blow some air into it and they rise up and stay wherever they are if you blow consistently

Back