1982 Yamaha Seca 400 (XS400RJ)

SteveM

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals, I've just joined this forum after buying an '82 Seca 400. I need to buy new tires but I don't have an owners manual and I'm not sure what size to buy. I believe both front and rear are 18" diameter, but not sure of the correct size to buy.

I'm thinking a set of BT45 Battleaxe tires would be ideal.

Hi Guys and Gals, I've just joined this forum after buying an '82 Seca 400. I need to buy new tires but I don't have an owners manual and I'm not sure what size to buy. I believe both front and rear are 18" diameter, but not sure of the correct size to buy.
Hi Steve. Nice choice. Welcome to the Forum!
The SECA manual (or at least the full repair manual) is available on this site for download if SEARCH finds it for you. It should have tire specs and other good stuff.

Oh, and if you do a search here, make sure to include DOHC to make sure you get the right engine type. Us DOHCers have just enough differences (besides carbs. Trust anything here about carbs for any bike.)

Thanks Lou, I'll check it out.
Steve, I may have sent you on a wild goose chase. I tried to look up sizes in that repair manual and couldn't find them.
Here is a good article with lots of interesting info (and tire sizes) on your bike. Found it last year when I was considering buying a well-worn SECA:
And here is a fun "review" of your bike:
I wish he had blogged on other bikes I was considering. Anyway, since my bike shares the engine and chassis with yours, these articles gave me some comfort when I found it - and I'm actually glad I don't have the six speed since the revs in high gear are the same at speed. In fact, if I could get a 4 speed tranny with the same 1st and top gear ratios and just 2 instead of 3 in the middle, I would swap in a second. :shrug:
You're likely younger though, so have fun and post pics.

Lou - the specs page is helpful and is what I needed, thanks. The review was very interesting. I'm a grandfather but still young at heart and I hope to have some fun with this bike soon.

Hey bentwrrench are the exhausts interchangeable? I have an 82 seca and cant find an exhaust for that model. Thanks

Back