Need Tank Ideas

Norther Ontario Bobber

XS400 Virgin
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Started wrenching on this bike on the weekend..... stuck with finding a fuel tank for it. The stocker is not gonna cut it.

Attachments

• 400 Bobber2.jpg
    400 Bobber2.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
You could try adding knee dents if you're not going to use it anyway. There isn't much to lose unless you plan to sell it.

Not too fussed with the idea of the knee dents, thanks for the idea though. Here is a pic of the original bike. Couldn't argue with the price of it.....free, but struggling with a tank to fit over that stamped backbone... :banghead:

Attachments

• Yamaha2.jpg
    Yamaha2.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 440
So we think we have found a suitable replacement. Will update pics of progress on the weekend.... Tank is here and bike is at the shop 80 KM's away :(

Test fitted it at the wreckers on the same frame, will need to do some bending and cutting to get it to drop in place, but that will only make it more unique.

Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• Tank 2.jpg
    Tank 2.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 378
I love the paint! Flat black with gold leafing and white pin stripes is what I have planned for my bike (at the moment at least! lol). Is that an XS650 tank?

Haven't got a clue it was hanging in the rafters with a million other tanks and it caught my eye. Don't know about the paint scheme yet for the bike, still in mock up (and working on a tight, tight budget). But it is giving me ideas.

It looks like it's from a 650 to me, but don't quote me on it! haha I have went through about 15 different paint choices so far....guess that's what happens when the build gets put on hold and I have ample time to rack my brains over the final product! lol I guess only time will tell.

I can't wait to see the tank on the bike!

Spent the day hacking, cutting and grinding. Dropped the rest of the frame, modified the tank and slipped it into place. Turned the risers and mounted drag bars... Now on the hunt for a seat. Found a fender on ironically a trailer in the back yard, (after hitting up 2 shops trying to find a fend that would fit).

:thumbsup:

I have an '82 xs400rj seca DOHC [long name] and my tank was rusted out,so I bought a xs650 tank.It is really wide and boxy,so I think it will work out well,as I have to fix seat,so I'll build seat to fit tank. lha:bike:

Back