What did you do with your XS today?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I can ask the gut I traded the Vulcan with but I know it wasn't on the road cause its exactly as I left it

Replaced my brake lights with leds. Pleasantly surprised that they work without complications and are much brighter. Now I've got to wait 3 to 6 weeks for my $5 brake strobe module to arrive from Hong Kong.

Last night I made significant progress on my homebrew rearsets. Got the template one fully drilled, including hand-grinding the bearing socket out to spec, and bolted it on the end of the bar stock I'm using to drill the other one. I'm hoping that I can fit the bearings by heating the bar and gently pressing them in. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I'm confused...are you slipping the bearings over the bar?

If so, put the bar into the freezer to contract it. If the bearings go inside the bar, freeze the bearings.

Oh, sorry, pictures would be helpful and I forgot to take any. The bar in this case is rectangular, 1/2" x 1/2" x 5". I'm drilling through the shortest dimension. I'll try freezing the bearings, thanks!

I bought a new (read: junked) front brake caliper for 40 bucks. It's not in the best shape, since it's been taken from a junked bike and has a number of torn seals, gaskets, and the like. However, it's got threads for a bleeder screw, and I'm excited to have a chance to fix the bleeder screw problem again (and to do it right) and to rebuild it with a perfectly good caliper that has a horrible bleed screw thread. I've also arranged a business exchange with a former member of the forum in my area (Tony007) to purchase a used dashboard, including speedo, tach, and idiot lights with included cables, until I can actually afford the whole new integrated dash. Overall I think I've spent a significant amount less that I was expecting, which is a pleasant surprise!

Also, does anyone know the correct measurement for our bleeder screw?

Last edited:
Built a new mount for my new iPhone and wired in a charging cable for it. Adjusted carb jetting for "warmer" weather. Gave the bike a quick check and found the front tire at 5 PSI. :wtf: Going to have to remember to find the slow leak. Then went for a 4 hour ride before the snow returns tonight. :bike:

Measured ingition coil resistance, secondary winding is a bit off specs, but still within 20% tolerance,
And soaked chain to a bowl with old engine oil for a few days before trying to get rid of that 10 year gunk on it.

i put a new Shinko 712 100/90-18 tire on the front.

IMG_20150404_121522.jpg

Measured ingition coil resistance, secondary winding is a bit off specs, but still within 20% tolerance,
And soaked chain to a bowl with old engine oil for a few days before trying to get rid of that 10 year gunk on it.

If the chain is that old and "gunk" I would just replace it as well as sprockets.

I started the bike up and went for a ride down the block and back. Needs some fine tuning to idle but almost there. Probably needs the mammogram treatment and idle adjusted.

Last edited:
Lol, sounds familiar. I'm idling around 2000rpm right now. Adjustment screws seem to have no affect though I know the idle circuit is clear in the carbs.
Thinking the re-covered air filters are letting in way too much air.

Took mine for a few laps of the back yard today. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to clutches but she's real touchy.
Dies/stalls with a loud "thunk" and a kinda odd sound like a chain still spinning down inside or a ratchet clicking quickly.

I gave mine the mammogram treatment on the main jet. Idle, low and mid range always worked well. Just needed the correct main jets, to go with the foam filters and brand X mufflers. Deep Purple is running real sweet. Might set a new top speed record on my next attempt. Has been a satisfying experience getting this bike. It is working great for around the Island trips, and winter riding. Now and then I do 20 miles on the freeway, but DP is fine at 70 to 80.
Will buy more heavily treaded tyres for next winter

Unkle Crusty

Attachments

• D P.jpg
    D P.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 248
after sitting all winter she started right up on full choke... new MAC 2-1 sounds pretty good, much louder than i anticipated it would be. Its a only slightly quieter than the emgo shorties that were on there before.

Back