84 Maxim 400 (XS400J) or 82 XS400 Heritage Special?

TrueG

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this is not poor etiquette to start a new thread on this topic. I was all set to get the 84 Maxim 400 and started a thread here about it...
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5459

The seller also has an 82 XS400 Heritage Special for the same price and I am wondering if perhaps I should go with this one instead. The 84 appears to be in better condition, but finding information about it has been a little difficult. I guess the XS400J is a bit more rare.

Here are the pictures....
84 Maxim 400 (XS400J)
1984-400YamahaMaxim-5speed.jpg

82 XS400 Heritage Special
1982-400YamahaHeritageSpecial6spd.jpg

Are the parts for one easier to find than the other?
Are there any differences that would make one better than the other?

Both have been parked for a couple of years, but were running fine when they were parked.

What do you think?

Thanks,
TrueG

the sohc is easier to do up and there are lots more spares available too. the dohc was only sold for a few years then dropped.

your choice in the end

The dohc is supposed to have more power, plus there's the monoshock setup. Still, I enjoy my '82 Heritage Special and would prefer it over the '84. It depends what you want to do with the bike.

I figured the 84 appears to be in better shape, so hopefully would have less that needs to be done to get it running. The 82 appears to have a lot more rust.

The seller thought the 84 would be easier to work on (something about more engine space to get your fingers in there and such).

I basically just want a bike that is running and safe. I don't want to do any mods, but I'm not afraid of hard work. I want it under 410 cc (for insurance purposes) and it needs to be cheap. I can get either of these bikes for $200 (or both for $350). I can afford a one off of $200 to get a bike and then $25 here, $25 there to try and get it running.

The cheapest running bike I have seen in my area since March is $700 (about the same age and condition as these bikes). Many sellers try and get $300 to $500 for their non-running bikes (i.e. parts/project bikes). These are by far the best deal I have seen since I got my motorcycle learners license in March.

TrueG

That 84 is a nice bike! There are bunches of heritage specials out there but the J is a little more rare. Plus, I am a little biased toward it because, other than the horn, seat, and rust, it is a dead ringer for my 82. At $350, how can you pass up buying them both? Get them both, custom the heritage, and keep the J stock. Have fun buddy!

Well I ended up buying them both.

Here they are in the back of the truck I borrowed from a friend. :)

P0001_090611.jpg

P0003_090611.jpg

P0002_090611.jpg

I wish I could keep them both, but I can't afford it. How sad is it, that I can't afford to keep a $150 motorcycle? :(

I found out from the seller that the 82 was insured during the summer of 09, but started running badly. She believes there was a problem in the fuel system (rust). So she parked it and got the 84.

The 84 was run last summer, parked for the winter without being prepped and then instead of getting cleaned up for this season, she was able to get a deal on a bigger bike and left it to sit.

I guess motorcycles are disposable to some people. :(

I am going to keep the 84 and try and sell the 82 to recoup some of what I spent.

Thanks for all the help. :)
TrueG

Back