Flasher problem - need help

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
XS400R DOHC engine

I got my wiring sorted except for the turn signals. They light, but don't blink. Reading through the manual it says to check the Flash Relay and the Flash cancel device.

Well where the @$%& are they? :wtf: Anyone have a pic or a page from a manual that illustrates how wto service them?

:confused:

Mission accomplished - For those with '82 & '83 XS400 the flasher and canceller are locacated under the central backbone just above the spark plugs. You need to remove the upper motor mounts and you will see a 1" hole on each side, just insert a flat bladed screwdriver up at the top and lever down the leastic mounting band. and voila there they are.

Not very servicable when they could have been mounted near the fuse panel or in many other areas around the airbox/battery, under the seat, etc.

They really want you to take it to the shop for every little thing that happens.Good luck getting me to the shop.I waited too long to go to the doctor,almost died,11-1/2 mos of chemo and voila almost alive. lha:banghead:

Two 10 watt 10 ohm resistors in parallel on each side in the rear; one pair in parallel for each signal. The resistor must attach from the colored wire to the ground. I spliced mine in. You can buy the resistors at radio shack.

Since several folks have been chasing after a solution to this problem, here is another possibility:

Sent an email to the guy I bought my LEDs from in Hong Kong - see below:

"Hi,
Do you know if this flasher would work with older Yamaha motorcycles that have 3-pin flashers? Specifically 1980 XS400.
Many thanks,
OliverB"

"Hello.

Yes, it works.

Thank you."

Below is the link to the flasher:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_1545wt_1167

My son will be ordering one to test on his '81.

I saw identical flashers like that in the auto parts store. Unfortunately my 78 has a different layout. "L" is on the right, "E" is in the top middle, and "B" is on the left if I recall correctly.

You raise a good point and actually I have not checked the position of leads on our '80 & '81 wiring diagrams but it would be a simple matter to switch the position of the leads in the connector plug.

Back