New to xs400.com but not finding it helpful!

Juju400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came to this site because I just bought a 78 yamaha xs400 not to long ago and I thought I could get some insight on the restoration process. None. The bike has problems and any help someone could offer would be awesome. First off, I have a broken spark plug thread stuck in the cylinder head. I don't know how to get it out so I'll just take off the cylinder head and try and twist it out. Secondly, the boots of the ignition cables won't snap onto my new spark plugs so I'll probably need new ones. Thirdly, I just bought a battery but I didn't know that I would have to fill it with acid. I'll need to do that next. Next, the cables from the petcock aren't connected and the fuel line from the gas tank is broken. The bike has a couple other problems with it but none that I think will keep it from starting. That's it for now. Not to sound douchy, but if people who are knowledgeable in XS400's aren't helping less knowledgeable ones, this site is good for nothing. On a humble note, any advice that someone gives is appreciated.

#1 problem. Post pictures of your bike. We like shiny pictures.

Ok then, I'm kind of new here myself, but let me brutally honest.

You haven't made it easy to help. You have barely asked any questions. When you did you got responses but did not follow up on them. I made some suggestions about the broken spark plug. So did another member. Did you try any of the suggestions?
If you keep asking the same question without trying any of the suggestions given, pretty quickly you'll find the suggestions stop coming.

You have also asked questions in multiple threads. This is frustrating for us. I'm already frustrated trying to piece together the information you've presented in multiple locations and trying to keep track of what suggestions have been offered.

In the "What did you do with your XS" thread arfstrom also made a few suggestions about how to get help. Did you read the help he tried to offer? There was something about putting your bike model in your forum signature?
You haven't done it yet.
Doing so would demonstrate that you are willing to follow advice and others may be more willing to help in the future.

Have you downloaded the service manual for your bike? There are factory service manuals available on this forum. A Haynes manual will also take you step-by-step through most procedures. I think Clymer also has manuals for our bikes but the Haynes are more common and seem to be the preferred option.

At least in this thread you have some specific questions. That's a good start, but rather than a giant block of text that nobody wants to read, maybe a list? With line breaks?

I have a broken spark plug thread stuck in the cylinder head. I don't know how to get it out so I'll just take off the cylinder head and try and twist it out.
Two members responded to this when you asked in the "What did you do with your XS..." thread.
On october 16th, in a different thread, you said you would post a picture of the broken plug. That's a week ago.
We're still waiting.
In the mean-time:
In what way is it stuck? You said in a different thread again that you can turn it with a screwdriver. If you can turn it, why won't it come out?
Are the threads damaged? Have you chased the threads as suggested? Can the threads be chased with the plug still in there?
If the threads are damaged and you can't chase them with the broken plug in there, yes, you will have to take the head off.
It's not a simple procedure but it is one that a novice can do when following the instructions in the manuals.
Then you will have to repair the threads.
Make sure no debris gets left behind in the cylinders.

the boots of the ignition cables won't snap onto my new spark plugs so I'll probably need new ones.
Why not? Spark plugs come with adapters threaded on but the stock caps on your bike probably don't work with the adapters. Just unscrew the adapters, then your stock plug caps should press on.
While we're here. Did you buy the spark plugs specified in the manual?

I just bought a battery but I didn't know that I would have to fill it with acid. I'll need to do that next.
There is no question here. Do you need help with this? I've never done it myself but I expect it came with instructions. Let us know how it goes. I'd be curious to see it done.

Next, the cables from the petcock aren't connected and the fuel line from the gas tank is broken.
There are no cables.
If it's a stock vacuum petcock there should be two hoses coming from it. One feeds fuel from the petcock to the carburetor and one connects to an available vacuum barb on one of the carburetor holders. If they are broken, replace them. Hot water might help by making the rubber more flexible.
Fuel line should be 1/4". Off the top of my head I believe the vacuum line is 5/32".

I was going to go on a further rant about how my time is money, my time is billed at $80 an hour, etc, etc, but it all comes down to this:
Help us help you.

This web site is designed to search, and then almost every where you go, up or down, there is more help available.

http://www.xs400.com/tech.php Tech tab on top of this page
Here in the garage, is two sticky's. first one is for new users to look and see, the second one is where to find the manuals. Of course you can by the manuals off of Ebay for 10 bucks. Or download the 45 meg file from that download source.

Two rows of Tab's resources. I always click on Control panel, that will tell me if someone answered my post immediately. Then if I am bored, I will troll though the garage, lounge.

While your in the control panel, put info that we can use, like your name is juju400. That could mean you have a 400cc motorcycle. ju might be pronouced like 10, in japanese, so if your japanese, you said 10 10, in japanese. That could be kinda interesting, not to me though.

I said down, if you look at the end of the web page, (bottom) it will have a section marked "Similar Threads" That is based on you creating a thread, that zoom into the problem, so if you have a tire problem, you will click on the Wheel, or Carb, click on carb. (Its been a while since I created a thread).

Like I posted on a thread today already, Googling, the left search bar is more friendly than the right one. Then use real google, to get a bigger view. Youtube has done it all. I have posted mini Youtubes of my issues, and I have gotten awesome feedback. infact I was showing a vet a vid yesterday,

I signed up last week.
Already I have found an excellent piece written by 16V GTI Dave.
It is about replacing the rubber boots / stacks and making them out of PVC pipe.

The place where you bought your battery should be able to help you with filling it, and charging it.

Unkle Crusty

battery should be able to help you with filling it, and charging it.
I like to use a bight light behind the battery to aid with seeing the fluid level, as it gets closes. just like the book says, Battery acid is corrosive, so be careful. if its your first time, don't wear nice clothes. battery acid will leave hole in your outfit if you accidentally splash. The kit should have come with a small tube, use a side cutter to cut the nipple off. Then attach the hose to the nipple. The leve should be to the marks on the side of the battery, (.5 inch's from the top or so, based on the markings)
I will consign one of my kids' medicine dropper to the use of the battery acid. (Do not give it back to the kids) I tape mine to the battery acid container, so that wont happen.
I use the medicine dropper for the fine tunning, or filling, removing excess fliud, or what ever to fix the levels. (important to note, once a month or check fluid levels, and use distilled water at that point. (I don't know where to get rid of the acid once we are done. put the caps on, and charge it. (review instruction book, it might say leave the caps off while doing initial charging, (i dont remember) Next one I get is going to be AGM.

do's don'ts
Do check it monthly, one cell can go dry and not the rest.
Don't leave the battery on the ground, concrete, asphalt, ...
do place a piece of wood under the battery.
do bring it the house during winter
do put it on a battery tender during winter, with fresh air access, (don't place it in a closet with the battery tender, (probably in same room with water heater. (fresh air source is required there, (unless you have electric water heater) generally closeted out of normal space. (with fresh air if you have natural gas heater, most home furnaces have the same requirements, but with the new fancy high effenicie furnaces, they don't need the fresh air requirements.

Not to sound douchy, but you bought an old bike. We cant walk you through it 100% on an internet forum. Youll have to grow a pair, buy a manual and dive in. If your complaining about a battery needing to be filled with acid and no one helping, your a moron.

If you cant handle the battery, go to the dealer and finance a new bike. Then they can deal with petty problems.

And you just answered your own question. Remove the head. There is no easy way to remove a broken plug. Hope that when the head is off, you can twist it out easy...hopfully its not seized.

Not to sound like more of a douche, but you can eat a dick. : ) If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Thanks!

Thank You for the help once again. I dont feel comfortable working with the battery acid so I think I'll recharge my old one and hook it up. Also, I just bought a new fuel filter so I'll look on the control panel on how to install it.

Filling the battery with acid is pretty straightforward. Take some pics of what style you have and I'll walk you through it -if you want.

Pics always help and, for me at least, photobucket.com makes it easier to post pics on forums.

None of us were mechanical geniuses when we started out and most of us still aren't. Learning takes time but taking things one step at a time will make the pile of jobs easier to navigate.

There are a lot of basic " how to" videos on youtube. Not always specific to our bikes but the same principle.

If you're afraid of battery acid, take it back and buy a precharged AGM batery. They are more pricey but you don't have any of the acid maintenance and they are a little more durable.

Or borrow mommy's dish washing gloves and follow the detailed, lawyer approved, safety instructions. If servicing a battery is so scary, then riding a bike will most certainly induce paralysis. The earlier suggestion to grow a pair is on the mark. Or hitch up your skirt and get to it. What ever applies.

On a similar note, whining on any forum (including here) and calling people "unhelpful douches" usually won't get a positive response. The fact that you have received helpful and supportive replies says much for the people who make up this community. Unfortunately for you, Juju400, I'm not so tolerant. You see, this "good for nothing knowledgeable douche" has better things to do than waste my time writing a detailed technical reply to help a disrespectful self centered egotistical ignoramus that you are. And to hammer this point home, I've wasted 10 minutes writing this post rather than writing a helpful, technical reply. Because you, Juju400, don't deserve one.

Again, thanks for stopping by and contributing. Now go away, and don't come back until you have improved your attitude.

So you wasted time writing BUT you felt the need to write it AND say in fact, that you wasted time? Clearly, my first post in this thread was out of frustration because like I said, I couldn't find help and even though I didn't say it, couldn't see people's replies. If you want to act like a female and start a war of words then I won't reply you because you want to be to some random asshole amongst helpful people who actually have something positive to say.
PS- I never asked for your specific input so you're the one stopping by and contributing so therefore you can eat a dick. Thanks : )

I never said that I was afraid, I said uncomfortable with it. In addition, I feel like the acid will cost me more than battery itself did.

I guess you didn't know before buying it so fair enough, but it did not come with the acid?
Whoever you bought it from was scamming you, or at the very least taking advantage of your lack of knowledge. If you bought it from a retail location, bring it back.

You asked for everyone's help, so everyone is free to comment. If you want to stick around, do so, but be willing to take the initiative on your own and accept help when offered.
And don't tell people to eat dicks, just demonstrate that you do have a pair and don't react.

I tried to resist stoking these flames but how can some one who says he is "uncomfortable" handling some battery acid ever bring themselves to wrap their legs around a tank filled with a few gallons of gasoline with all the heat and wiring going on under it?:yikes:

I just joined this site 2 days ago when I bought my 1st bike and I am a complete newby to bikes, but everything I have found on this site has been WONDERFUL information and everyone that I have talked to has been really nice. JuJu400, I think that you may be going about things the wrong way. EVERYONE here has been great but you have got have some patience and take the initiative. I understand how one could be frustrated if they could not see replies to their posts but to resort to name calling and all is just plain disrespectful and should not be tolerated by ANYONE, especially those who are willing to take time to help others.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. -Gunny

wow are you like this in real life juju? I don't think anyone here is going to want to help you after you abuse them. Why don't you just find another forum that suits you more if you hate us here so much?

Last edited:
Back