Anyone playing with a XS400 - Seca or Maxim - DOHC?

Hi Jim,

I own a Seca, just read the intro posting "dutch newbee", mine is tuned a bit. DOHC's are a rare and unloved breed. Don't know why!

Kind regards,

Jan

Jan,

Great to know I am not the Lone Ranger out here in XS400dom. These are hot little bikes and sadly there were very few sold. I think Yamaha was develoing and introducing so many bikes in the mid '80 just becsue they could. The Seca 700' 900 and the SecaII stole some thid great bikes thunder.

So give me some news on your XS400R. You and me agianst them the 360/400 SOHC. No for now its just you and me.

Let's see some pics of your ride.

Jim,

I think you will find that our German friends have a vast knowledge of the DOHC as it was popular over there.

Welcome to the forum Einstein!

Jim:

I also belong to the forum at XJbikes.com. It's a forum with over 8600 members and a HUGE number of posts to refer to. I've been a member there for several years. There are numerous DOHC 400 owners that belong there because it's basically half of an XJ motor. The DOHC owners post in the regular sections of the forum and not relegated to the "other bikes" section. At the XJ site, the SOHC version is the odd bike!

Hi everyone, new this forum. I just recently bought a 1983 Yamaha XS400 Maxim.
It has the DOHC and at idle has a clunking sound. It goes away when you increase the throttle above idle, perhaps over 1,500 rpm. I have absolutely NO experience with these machines, the last bike I had was a Kawasaki KE175. I was thinking maybe valve or cam chain tensioner? Yes...I have lots of questions but mainly where to find repair manuel.
Thanks!

Hello to all. I have an '82 XS400J Maxim DOHC which I bought almost a year ago now. This is my first bike, also my first mechanical project. I had minimal knowledge beforehand (I knew my way around most hand tools), but used this as my learning project. A great bike to learn with! Simple layout, and pretty easy to see what the manuals are talking about. I also belong to the XJBikes.com forum, great wealth of knowledge there. They helped my with many questions just like here. All in all, I love this bike! It's fun and nimble, great for commuting around town and just taking a nice ride by the water.

have a pair of XS400R's queued up in my to-do list. Between the two I have enough parts for about 1.8 whole bikes. Figure one clean OEM one and one mean lil ripper with some aftermarket bits (for examble of the two I only have one good left and one good right exhaust so the "bad twin" will get mac 2-1)
Haven't touched them as so much else has come up. My daily driver is an XJ750R that I'm intimately familiar with inside and out so these lil guys should be a snap being they're basically the same motor just cut in half. Looking forward to getting into it.

Greetings folks! I've been lurking for a bit, getting some education on the cycle I just bought; an '82 XS400J Maxim, my first bike. It's a previously-unloved non-runner, which I'm just starting to dive into. This forum is much appreciated, since the only person I know with a cycle background (brother-in-law) thinks "If it ain't a Harley it ain't fit for a man to ride". While he'll be no help, you folk already have been. Much obliged!

I just started tearing into a xs400rj seca,DOHC,and am glad to see that the carbs are clean,except for a bit of bad gas in the bowl.It ran when I put gas in the carbs,and started.it ran for a minute or so,sounded good! lha

i just bought a running 82 xs400 seca in great shape except for some paint peel on the tank and a bad stator . i got the bike for 300 dollars and i feel like i got the deal of the century

I'm just about finished breaking in the top end of my Maxim commuter bike. It seems like I must have bought one of the last pair of oversize pistons left in the western world. Have done some mods and may do some more as I'm not a fan of "cruiser" style bikes and feel a bit cramped on the Maxim (I am 6'4" tall). Mods so far:
1. Seca 18" rear wheel (Seca front was bent so I couldn't use it)
2. Seca 400 six speed transmission
3. Flat Superbike handlebar
4. Braided front brake line
5. "Triumph" style reverse cone megaphone mufflers (stock were rotted)
6. 10$ swap meet Bosch headlight with replaceable H-4 bulb
7. New o/s pistons and rings and valves/ seats recut to stock dimensions

I seem to be turning a $100 bike into a $1000 bike, although some of the bits used were leftovers from other projects. Still need to do something with the cramped seating. The step in the Maxim seat needs to dissapear but I refuse to cut up a nice original seat. And the seca seat will not just bolt-on. Rear sets? More modern wheels? Wire wheels? Better front brake? Seca bodywork? RD 350 LC bodywork? Etc, etc. Fun things to ponder.

Back