1980 XS400 Special II Restoration/Customisation

MRFINCH

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So, About 2 months ago my Dad and I rescued a 1980 XS400 Special II From a shed in Scotland. It is an american (Denver, Colorado) import with 4300 miles on the clock, brought to the UK 7 years ago but never registered and has sat in sheds around the country ever since. Since getting it we have been doing a lot of cleaning and some light modifications. I knew from the start I would be changing the handlebars for more "euro" style, making a thinner, better looking seat, chaining the back light for something a little more subtle and getting a lovely paint job as the tank was rusty and dented. We are nearly done now and are waiting for registration documents and to pass my test, take a look at the pics and tell me what you think of my first build. :)

How I found it:

IMG_2082.jpg

This is after a quick wash:

IMG_2170.jpg

Stripped down in the garage:

IMG_8166.jpg

After some proper cleaning, new handlebars and light. During seat fabrication:

IMG_2212.jpg

In its current form, waiting for a registration number from the DVLA:

IMG_8308.jpg

New paint looks bloody brilliant!

IMG_8306.jpg

Did that have the plastic seat pan? What did you do with that bit of wood in there? Can you list some of the items you used like bars and those little pods in the back? Looks great!

Thanks! The whole seat is home made. Took the fixings off the plastic seat pan and put them on a home made wooden base then sculpted some foam for the top and covered it in vinyl. Think the bars are a CB 400, the pods are just like little clutch bags i found on eBay attached to the frame with a home mage bracket haha

Love the seat as well. My dad and I also got a project bike for us to work on together which we'll get to more in the summer but I'm sure he'll want to do something similar with the seat.

Great work!

We went to our local paint shop, went through his catalogue and picked the one that we thought matched the original colour the best, I think it turned out a bit deeper and more sparkly. I forgot to ask him for the paint code though. It was nearly a year ago but i might be going back to him and ask if he remembers, would be nice to know. ill keep you posted.

Went back to the shop to see the painter a few days ago. Although he was over the moon to see the bike together and on the road he had no record of the paint code so it will always be a mystery, sorry! I would recommend the rear light, obviously its not amazing build quality as its cheap and from hong kong but looks pretty good after i made the aluminium finishing plate to go on top. That light does have a clear section in the bottom to light up a plate but is irrelevant to me due to its position. I just cut the plate holder off the light. The plate light is completely standard.

Here is the rear light -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d5ebb498

Hey I'm thinking of getting the same bike you have for my first road bike.
Just wondering:
what handles bars did you swap into your bike?
how do you like it? Ride quality, braking, steering etc...

thanks!

Back