1982 XS400R to Cafe

farquand

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a XS400R for cafe conversion. (without a stock tank gentlemanjim, yeah I know you're looking for one:D) I am beginning to think that I am going to have to build my own tank or heavily modify something. I am looking for suggestions on the tank. I can handle the tail section but the tank is kind of stumping me.
If I build one, I am considering carbon fiber everything, just for fun and also because I have access to the fabric almost for free.:wink2:
Thanks gents in advance for your input.

If I wasn't so determined to use the side panels there are a number of tanks to use: FJ600, GS450, XS750 Std. I'm still working on minegot it all sealed on the outside, now derusting the inside and next I'll seal the inside with Red-Kote. Talked to a guy onanother forum that just picked up two of these bikes and may trade me a tqnk for some other parts.

If I wasn't so determined to use the side panels there are a number of tanks to use: FJ600, GS450, XS750 Std. I'm still working on minegot it all sealed on the outside, now derusting the inside and next I'll seal the inside with Red-Kote. Talked to a guy onanother forum that just picked up two of these bikes and may trade me a tqnk for some other parts.

Are those tanks direct fits? Are there years that fit better than others?

Posted via Mobile

well that does nt help me at all. see I m kinda looking for anoth front fender but I think i have 18" wheel and I just cant seem to locate one for bike they are all bigger.

Hi - have you been searching for other front fenders? With the "we grab what we have and build another motorcycle from this"-philosophy from yamaha you may find some front fender, which fits.
Unfortunately we can´t help you that much here from Germany, ´cause we can´t change that much our motorcycles than Canadians. :-(
BTW: Nice edge of your province, I once had steered a project in your neighbor-county Oxford .....

I am getting another Seca 400 tomorrow, I may have a tank up for grabs. We'll see what it looks like when I get it. Hopefully it is solid for you guys.

It seems that Iread somewhere that the 650 and the 400 have the same set of carbs. Is this true? If so can a put a set of "XS Performance Keihin Carb Kit for XS650, 32mm Keihin Flatslide PWK Carb" from mikesxs on my '82 400R?
Here's a link http://www.mikesxs.net/products-82.html#products
thanks
I'd say yes, but my XS400R dohcammer and my XS650 ran great with BS34's. 45 pilots and 132.5 L and 130.0 R main jets with pod air filters and stock exhaust. IF you are running open exhaust you will need to shim the needle a mm or 2. If the carbs area thoroughly clean and the diaphrams on the slides are not torn and the mountng boots do not leak. Many blame the design of the BS34's when there is usually other issues that cause poor performance.

Before tuning your BS34´s with open air intakes take a close look on the membranes. They use to get little holes by the time and therefore they won´t let your XS run fine.

Thank you for the replies, the information is greatly appreciated. My dohc 400 is pretty beat up and is going to require almost a ground up restore, so I'll be asking lots of questions as time permits me to work on the little beast.
I was considering the carb upgrade so that I might squeeze out some more performance. I am also wondering if I can use the carb holders (or carb joint as its called on the boats.net site) from a 650?
What can you tell me about the suspension? Is the rear shock rebuildable? If not, where can I find a replacement? Fork rebuilding or other forks I can use with little to no modification to the steering head?
And how about parts, any good sources other than parts n more or mikes xs or ebay. Thanks again

If shipping would not be that expensive you could get a rear shock absorber from my "replacement area" in the cellar.

You can´t fix or rebuild the absorber (it´s well recommended not to try it yourself). Have you been trying to adjust the suspension of the absorber? You have the possibility to adjust it with a special tool.

Back