Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

Which would be the correct diagram for a '76 xs360? I am helping my little brother with his bike and I think there is a problem with his charging system and it wold be nice to have the correct diagram for this bike.

does anyone have a kick start only wiring diagram, i want to retain indicators,horn, headlight hi/low, speedo light, tail light/brake and number plate light. I don't want electric start. its for a 77 SOHC and also a kill switch

i went on e-bay and bought a wiring diagram for about $5.95 and they sent it in a pdf style format right to by computer. it shows a few different styles of wiring from stock to bare bones and a few in between. i think you will find what you are looking for, good luck and keep it in the wind.

[image removed at request of owner]

11803242kd.jpg

Hey guys about to do the wiring on my bike. Just wanted to post this and see if anyone can see any problems before I go for it. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• Wiring diagram 2.png
    Wiring diagram 2.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 7,861
hey guys new here and just got an 82 xs400 maxim. i need help with a wiring diagram for it. the head light and front turn signals are missing and there are a few wires cut. i bought the bike for $25 out of some guys back yard any help on this would be greatly taken.

Here's how I wired my '77 XS400 Cafe Racer project (kick start only). I was able to use my stock handlebar controls and when the kill switch is in the off position it cuts the power to the coils, the lights, and the horn. The only drawback is the brake lights don't work unless the lights are switched on. It wasn't a concern for me since I only leave the lights off when I'm kick starting the bike so they're not drawing from the battery.

Wally

XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpg

not sure you need 20amps between light sw and kill switch. i would use a 10amp there

Actually I have a 15a breaker in there (because I had it laying in my toolbox and didn't have any 10a) When I did the drawing I copy and pasted the 20a copy. Thanks for looking and letting me know.

Wally

ps. I originally posted the original schematic with the condenser wired to the positive side of the coils and nobody caught it. This one is correct now.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a SIMPLE diagram using field coil and mechanical Voltage Control Unit for my flat tracker, all I need is battery charging circuit as have no running lights/indicators, just a stop light which I can wire direct from battery

Anyone know of a SIMPLE diagram using field coil and mechanical Voltage Control Unit for my flat tracker, all I need is battery charging circuit as have no running lights/indicators, just a stop light which I can wire direct from battery

you would need a rectifier in there too.

If you follow the diagrams above, just eliminate and use you own switches to make things simpler

Have found a circuit posted by wallstar, however 2 things puzzle me, (1) the green wire from voltage reg goes to "brush assembly"? all I have in alternator is 2 coils?
(2) on original wiring the wires from VR are thus,
green to alt as above
black to ground (earth)
and brown ?(V+) from ignition switch
have also been told the field coil needs 12v to create magnetic field?

however on wallstar's diagram the 2 field coil wires go yo VR with no feed shown? is it me? or is this another way of wiring?

Can anyone tell me how to wire my contact breaker to my ignition coils? Im trying to wire my bike to run with no battery just kickstart only. 1981 heritage special

Posted via Mobile

re post no.69
"The only drawback is the brake lights don't work unless the light switch is on" surely on that diagram both brake light switches are fed from live side of light switch? and so independent of that? there also (to me) is a question re the headlamp wiring, should not the red (feed) to hi/low come from switched side of light switch and the blue feed to low (dip) headlight come from the not used 3rd contact of hi/low switch?
As new member hope no one takes offence at me questioning this

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to wire my contact breaker to my ignition coils? Im trying to wire my bike to run with no battery just kickstart only. 1981 heritage special

Posted via Mobile

You will still need a battery even with points.

re post no.69
"The only drawback is the brake lights don't work unless the light switch is on" surely on that diagram both brake light switches are fed from live side of light switch?

no its after the fuse and is a feed to the switch, the take off is before that headlamp switch

re the headlamp wiring, should not the red (feed) to hi/low come from switched side of light switch and the blue feed to low (dip) headlight come from the not used 3rd contact of hi/low switch?
when the lights are switched on, low beam only.

Flicking on the high/low switch activates the high beam only then can switch it off.(effectively giving you the low beam again)
If you think about it, the switch will need a live feed to operate the passing high beam (lamp flasher in the UK)

drewps

Back