Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

Below is a diagram for the bike I just wired up. Simple basic wiring using a four position spring return key switch. (Like a car ignition). You would probably want to add some more fuses or breakers but this should get you to a point of starting.

Attachments

• WiringDiagramXS400Cafe2.jpg
    WiringDiagramXS400Cafe2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 9,406
Well done, nice pics, Super faithful to the parts of our bike! I am thinking of 2 10amp fuses, one to combine the lights, and another on the the ignition. That middle thing you have in the center, I am thinking that is a starter relay? Looks like there is a missing starter button?
Tobie

Well done, nice pics, Super faithful to the parts of our bike! I am thinking of 2 10amp fuses, one to combine the lights, and another on the the ignition. That middle thing you have in the center, I am thinking that is a starter relay? Looks like there is a missing starter button?
Tobie

Yeah that would probably be a good place to add some fuses. You are correct. There is no starter button because the key switch replaces that. It is a spring switch. Similar to how you would start your car.

hi, I need help with the original diagram of the turn signals.
I see there are many diagrams of different models, my bike is a 1979 XS400 2A2, and I think I have all the original connectors on the front, I need to know exactly what the connectors, fuses and wire colors lights turn if it is possible!
or do you recommend me a new wiring for turns?? My idea is to turn sugnals two bar end, so I think I should be out there making a new connexion, that you think about that? this is very complicated??
If you can show me how to do it graphically, because my English is very bad for reading

thank you very much

Hey guys. I just bought an 80 xs400 3f9, The wiring was just a nest in a box. I am trying to figure this out but I've been searching all over these forums and somehow cannot find the wiring diagram I need. there is no electric start, just kick start. And all I need are the wires required for it to start and run. the rest I can add on later, as of yet there are no accessories or lights or anything. Thank you.

Hey guys. I just bought an 80 xs400 3f9, The wiring was just a nest in a box. I am trying to figure this out but I've been searching all over these forums and somehow cannot find the wiring diagram I need. there is no electric start, just kick start. And all I need are the wires required for it to start and run. the rest I can add on later, as of yet there are no accessories or lights or anything. Thank you.

G'day Caleb,

I suggest you read this thread from the beginning as there are a number of simplified wiring diagrams posted.

Also how about some photos of your bike & info on what you plan to do with it.

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile

G'day Caleb,

I suggest you read this thread from the beginning as there are a number of simplified wiring diagrams posted.

Also how about some photos of your bike & info on what you plan to do with it.

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile
Thanks for the reply, I have read through every post in this forum more than once, either I just don't understand what I am looking at? or what I need exactly isn't quite there. My issue is that all of the relevant diagrams I have seen include accessories or electric start. Taking into consideration that with wiring, some thing are fed through other things, or share grounds etc. I haven't quite figured out what is actually required to start the bike through kick alone. When I bought it, I was told the pick up coils were bad. However, they appear to be testing correctly with resistance. Next I checked the voltage of the wires entering the TCI ignition box from the pick-ups while kickstarting the bike to see if there was a pulse entering the box that should initiate spark. There was, so I checked the voltage from the TCI to the ignition coils while kickstarting and I got nothing. This is leading me to believe either I don't have everything hooked up correctly for the TCI to do it's job, or I have a bad TCI. I will try to upload pics in a minute, but until then the bike is hardtailed, and I am in the process of building it into a rat bike/bobber. Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply, I have read through every post in this forum more than once, either I just don't understand what I am looking at? or what I need exactly isn't quite there. My issue is that all of the relevant diagrams I have seen include accessories or electric start. Taking into consideration that with wiring, some thing are fed through other things, or share grounds etc. I haven't quite figured out what is actually required to start the bike through kick alone. When I bought it, I was told the pick up coils were bad. However, they appear to be testing correctly with resistance. Next I checked the voltage of the wires entering the TCI ignition box from the pick-ups while kickstarting the bike to see if there was a pulse entering the box that should initiate spark. There was, so I checked the voltage from the TCI to the ignition coils while kickstarting and I got nothing. This is leading me to believe either I don't have everything hooked up correctly for the TCI to do it's job, or I have a bad TCI. I will try to upload pics in a minute, but until then the bike is hardtailed, and I am in the process of building it into a rat bike/bobber. Thanks again!

My bikes wiring was a dogs breakfast so I rewired it ( kick only). I found the factory wiring diagram really confusing so I used the xs400 German diagram & broke it up into seperate components. See page 6 of this thread. This is as much help as I can offer.

Good luck

Posted via Mobile

Hello, really usefull those diagrams, but i have an issue with my bike, i bought it with all the wires cutted off, i´m making all new wiring but i don´t know what to do with the six wires from generador, 4 greys and 2 blues, the grays came from the stator, and the other two from the front cover, my bike is an 1978 XS400, please help me and sorry for my english, thanks:banghead:

do you have this wiring Diagrams on your bike I got 1979 xs 400 but it won't start. I think it might be ignition coils. I got spark but weak. the guy who sell me the bike rewiring the bike but I don't know if he did it right. so that why I look around and found your wiring diagram. if you wiring work good, I wonna take all my wiring off the bike and rewiring like your diagram.

Hey there, guys, I've been looking for barebones diagrams that were available for 5.99$ on eBay. The seller has withdrawn the item and I can no longer buy it. I would gladly pay them the amount of money, but I can't seem to contact them. If anyone could PM me, I'd be immensely glad. Thank you.

Posted via Mobile

Hey guys,
Ive been searching this thread for a useful diagram, but none seem compatible with my bike or logical reasoning :confused:
I want to wire the bike for a test start to see if it runs decently, my bike (xs400SE 1980) runs the old type contact points, and seems to have no ignition/igniter unit or pick-up coil? I don't really know what those are, or what exactly their function is apart from the obvious, but they show up in every basic diagram I could find (like the one in the attachment). I cant really find a condensator either, which shows up on some diagrams....

If someone could explain to me what exactly I need to get my engine started using the starter engine and minimal electronics, or even draw me a diagram, I'd be infinitely grateful!

meanwhile I'll just see if I can find an original diagram
Cheers!

Attachments

• MinimumWiring.jpg
    MinimumWiring.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 20,013
if you can use a kick-start the simplest to get the bike running for test purposes is

live feed to both coils from battery

earth feeds to coils provided through the contact breakers with condensors off that to earth

that's it, don't leave the coils live for too long or they will heat up and break.

Alright, that sounds easy enough.
Now I just need to find a condenser :)

I guess I could hook the starter engine up directly to a (separate) battery if I wanted right?
Because I don't want to be kicking too long due to an old knee injury...

Anyhow, many thanks for the help!
(btw love your tracker Drewpy, the colours would match my helmet perfectly)

Alright, that sounds easy enough.
Now I just need to find a condenser :)

I guess I could hook the starter engine up directly to a (separate) battery if I wanted right?
Because I don't want to be kicking too long due to an old knee injury...

Anyhow, many thanks for the help!
(btw love your tracker Drewpy, the colours would match my helmet perfectly)

use big thick wires for the starter if your bypassing the starter solenoid!

thanks for the props :)

hey does anyone has a wiring diagram for a 82 Yamaha seca? im building this cool café racer that ran really nice before I took it apart , now I cant get power to the starter, and headlight, it may be solenoid

Back