Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

Does anyone have wire diagram for 82 XS400K that can post it. I`m working on a Xs400K that someone has cut all pin connectors off. Looking from ignition switch to igniter box to ignition coils to pic ups. All I have found on here are not for a k series and don`t match up. The ignitor box does not have a pig tail on it the pin connector which is gone plugs into the box. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

:bike:I am so appreciative of this site and all who contribute! I am looking foward to getting a 1978 xs400 up and running by spring. Who knows how many years it wasnt running for and where it would end up if I didnt get so excited about it? I went over almost every one of these schematics as well as the bikes actual wires to debate changing the whole harness or just adding another wire to the rest of the harness to (temporarily) handle that issue. I went through the trouble of translating the german schematic,getting a wire colour code from the manual, tracing the connections. I am not sure how accurate this will be for anything outside of my '78. I compiled this list with the intention of a electrical troubleshooting short cut. Its handy to have the colour coded schem hanging around but with my list all you need infront of you is your bike, and a good parts compass.

I Tried not to be too cryptic so make changes, corrections, or edit info as it suits you.

Colour Codes for wiring (and parts) of a 1978 Yahama XS400 (E)
B..............Black -All Lights, Tach + Spedo(no indicator lights), Battery Ground, Blinker + Horn Switches, Rectifier, Voltage Regulator, Blinker Off Circut

Br...........Brown -Oil + Neutral Indicator Lights to (Horn)(Voltage Regulator/Alternator) (Brakes) (Flasher Relay) (Blinker off circut) (Ignition Lock) (3x 10A Accessory Fuse wired here.There is a single Brown wire connected to 2 Brown and 1 Red/White wires of each of the 3 fuse ends. The other side of Each Fuse will have 2 Red/White wires and 1 brown wire connected.{opposite})

G.........Green -Alternator to Voltage Regulator
L.........Blue -Spedo to Tach & Ignition to Light Sw
-Tail Light to Ignition Switch
O....... Orange -Capacitor/Contact Breaker/Ignition Coil
P.........Pink -Horn to Horn momentary button
R.........Red -Ignition to (20A Fuse/Batt)+(Rectifier)
C........Chocolate -L Indicator Lights(3) to Switch
W.......White -Alternator To Rectifier
Y........Yellow -Brake To Rear Brake Light
-Alternator to Headlight saftey Relay
Dg.....Dark Green -R Indicator Lights(3) to Switch
Gy......Grey -Capicitor/Contact Breaker/Ignition Coil
Sb.....Sky Blue -Neutral (clutch) to Indicator Light
B/R....Black/Red -Oil Pressure (Alt) to Indicator Light
G/Y....Green/Yellow-Front Brake to yellow wire of rear brake
L/G.....Blue/Green -Lightswitch On/Off to Hi/Low Beam Sw
L/W.....Blue/White -Starter Relay to Starter Mom Button
R/W....Red/White -killswitch to 10A Fuse (series)
-Ignition coil to starter relay/killswitch
-Headlight Saftey relay to Fuse
R/Y.....Red/Yellow -Lightswitch to Fuse
W/G....White/Green-Blinker Off Circut to Reed Contact
Y/G....Yellow/Green-Flasher Relay to Blinker Off Circut
Y/R.....Yellow/Red -Blinker Switch to Blinker Off Circut
Br/W..Brown/White -Flasher Relay to Blinker toggle Switch
L/B.....Blue Black -Headlight saftey relay to Headlight

Off Harness wires that are needed
Y.........Yellow -Beam indicator/spotlight/Hi/Low Switch
Lg......Light Green -Headlight to Hi/Low Switch
L/G ....Blue Green -Light s/w On/Off to Hi/Low s/w (maybe different colour)

Last edited:
1979 F/2F

Attachments

• 1979 xs400F_2F.PNG
    1979 xs400F_2F.PNG
    51.5 KB · Views: 13,336
let me introduce myself, motorcycle mike #1, I'am a new member. here is my problem, just bought a 81 xs400 to turn into a bobber. I was wondering if anyone had a simple wiring diagram. just going to run the bare minimum lights and wanting to get rid of all of that nasty excess wiring. can anyone help a bro out.

let me introduce myself, motorcycle mike #1, I'am a new member. here is my problem, just bought a 81 xs400 to turn into a bobber. I was wondering if anyone had a simple wiring diagram. just going to run the bare minimum lights and wanting to get rid of all of that nasty excess wiring. can anyone help a bro out.

Here is a diagram that might suit you. I can't remember where it is from so if it is from someone on this forum please thank them for it.

Attachment removed by sellers request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a diagram that might suit you. I can't remember where it is from so if it is from someone on this forum please thank them for it.

thanks Pork Chop,this is a nice simple diagram that I think even I can follow. I'am very good at mechanics and fabrication, but really suck at wiring. thanks again and thanks to whoever posted the diagram.

just let me know how it works out, i haven't got to the point of wiring yet.

I'am not ready to wire the bike yet, just getting all my info together so I will have it ready when I get to that point. just got the bike a week ago, but I got her tore down and most of the frame out back cut off via the saws all. luv those bobbers

thanks for the wiring diagram PM, maybe I can figure out what I need to get rid of for my bobber. better dring a couple of beers or something before I try to tackle this wiring mess.

Back