82 Heritage Special - Can't Get Starter Out

63-Coupe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I decided to have a look at the starter on my parts bike before I pulled the engine to do an engine swap. I have the alternator cover off and the starter is disengaged from the chain and is loose in the hole but no matter which way I twist or turn it I can't get it out. It just does not seem to clear the carbs on the right side and I cannot get it high enough on the left side with the shaft clear of the hole. Which side is it supposed to come out? Is there a trick to this or do the carbs have to come off? The Haynes manual makes no mention of removing the carbs.

Help!!!

I have had another look and I think you are right about the carbs coming off. I was just trying to do a quick assessment on the starter while it was on a running engine. Oh well, it all has to come off anyway to pull the engine so I may as well get started. I will just put the known good starter from my original engine on this one.

Thanks.

Have you downloaded a manual from this site yet? I think the general opinion is that the ones here are much better than the Haynes for a lot of things. The Haynes seems to leave out certain steps, and some of the tuning info has been found to be wrong.

I knew they were there just never thought about it. :doh: Just downloaded one now. You're right in that it seems more detailed than the Haynes.

I am going to leave the starter now until both engines are out and on the bench. I have another toy that will be needing attention over the next few days. Hopefully I can get started on the engine swap in the next week or two.

I know this is a bit late but...never know, maybe you haven't taken the engines out yet. I just took the starter out today (81 xs400 Special II)...it helps if you have someone else, but you can do it yourself if you really need...the carbs are connected to the rubber hoses, so you just need to lift up and move them with a bit of force, and finagle it a bit...

Back