82 Heritage Special - Which Wheels Are Correct?

63-Coupe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK guys here's one for the purists. I have an 82 XS400SJ Heritage Special that has the aluminum rims with front disc and rear drum brakes. I also had a parts bike that had a VIN within 200 numbers of mine that was equipped the same. Both bikes were sold new in Canada. I have also seen on both this forum and elsehwere on several occasions low mileage bikes of the same year and model with spoke rims and drum brakes.

Now because of their age I know a lot of these bikes have been through several owners and there have been lots of opportunities for Bubba to "Improve" them but I am curious as to how they were originally built.

So which is correct for the 82 XS400SJ? Aluminum, spoke, or either? :confused:

Was there a change part way through the model year?

Was there a difference between bikes destined for N. America and Europe?

The other option is not "either"-"or"- it is that both could be correct...depending. Aluminum was standard on "Specials". Spokes were standard on "Special IIs". This is an ad from 1981, but I think the same holds true for '82.

For years, the XS400 "standard model" had alloys and a cheaper version had spokes. Therefore, alloys or spokes may be correct for the year, depending on the trim level.

bj1019.jpg

Last edited:
Back