Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

I would put a fuse from the ig switch "b" to brown. Also a fused supply for the indicators etc (Purple wire)

What is powering the Purple wire?

don't forget that the relay needs power and to activate it.

when wires cross over other wires, we normally put a little u to indicate its not connected to that wire

that 20amp needs to go before the terminal and then split to rectifier/regulator

thanks for the input drewpy...I'll revise with U's where wires cross as you suggest and repost tomorrow. The Purple wire would be powered through the three position turn signal toggle switch following the relay same as the blue (right side). I may be missing something but its my understanding i can control the right and left though one single relay as long as its prior to the toggle? I'll def. also be sure to pick up some additional inline fuses as suggested as well.

thanks for the input drewpy...I'll revise with U's where wires cross as you suggest and repost tomorrow. The Purple wire would be powered through the three position turn signal toggle switch following the relay same as the blue (right side). I may be missing something but its my understanding i can control the right and left though one single relay as long as its prior to the toggle? I'll def. also be sure to pick up some additional inline fuses as suggested as well.

I can see now, its those pesky cross overs that are confusing me :)

Updated as suggested...hope this helps others.

Attachments

• 1980 XS400G Simplified Wiring Diagram rev1 - Color coded.pdf
    182.4 KB · Views: 920
found this wiring diagram for a XS650 could I make this work for a XS400?

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9,609
Last edited:
Hey guys. My bike is a 1982 xs400. My vin is 14v-003275 . Could anyone point me in the right direction as to which diagram is for my bike. Thanks for all the help!

I recently sold my '82 XS400 but I still have the manual which includes a detailed wiring diagram. I would be glad to send it to someone who could use it. The option of scanning it and posting it electronically just isn't available to me. Let me know if you would like it.

wich one is for the 81 new to this bike and the wiring was all hacked up on my 400 on the front stem says 4R4 001637 and on my title it says xs44s just tryin to find the proper diagram and so far i have eliminated alot of wires for the turn signals/ headlight cuz headlights gunna be different switch

any sugestions on wich would be right diagram be awesome

came back found out the 4r4 means its heritage xs400SH so guess im back to searching again lol found the id page finally

Last edited:
XS400_SH_wiring_diagram.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

can the stuff thats is circled in this pic be removed all of it i know turn relays can but the safty and other thats just named relay

I recently sold my '82 XS400 but I still have the manual which includes a detailed wiring diagram. I would be glad to send it to someone who could use it. The option of scanning it and posting it electronically just isn't available to me. Let me know if you would like it.

Hay my bike is a 4R4, and its a 81 also. Here you vo this is for our bike. Serms to work for theG model as well.

It was actually a composit, that I put up, then Puesdomonkey combined it, and colorized it. Thank a Huge lot. It looks Great!
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77540&postcount=13
Tobie Arfstrom

Hey I was wondering if any one might know why my xs400 won't get any power to my coils got the bike as a non runner the wiring looks kinda hacked up but not too bad jus tryna get the thing running its hard tailed and the previous owner kinda jus stuffed everything under the tank jus kinda stuck been goin through the wiring but really dont see much thats off??? :confused:

get an electrical tester and start properly searching for the problem. Trace your wires from the battery to the coils and see where your voltages drop. Welcome to the forum ;)

You should start your own intro thread with pics so we can see what you have and know a little more about you:)

Does anyone out there have a diagram for a 77 xs400D? I know there is one on the first page of this thread, but it is wicked blurry. A colored one would be awesome. I attached a pic of my bucket with some holes for LED indicator lights. I'm doing all custom switches--I'll create a thread on the build when I'm finished--prob 3 more weeks. Thanks all!

Chris,

Do you by any chance have any pics of your bike and how the original harness ran on the frame? I got a bike with the harness off and dont know the best way to run it

Thanks

Thanks guys for the help I'm wondering if I should just buy the xsmike.com xs650 chopper wiring harness how hard would it be to use that and what would I have to do just splice the conectors?

Back