No spark......1982 Yamaha Maxium 400

Snowtrail

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm new to the forum.....lol.......and having trouble navigating. (TKS. Orange Tuesday)

Wondering if someone can help me with a spark problem related to my 82 Yamaha Maxium 400.......or at least make a start in trying to narrow it down.
My bike was pretty-well fine until recently......other than to say that lately she had been acting kind of weird. (Not starting good at times, very little spark on her plugs and once or twice not starting @ all when hot.)
This bike once she got started up, worked very well.............no hitches!

Yesterday the spark is gone altogather! There just isn't any spark on her plugs when I crank her with the plug grounded to the motor. I have tried a different plug and still the same.
Does anyone have an idea as to where I can start to look for this sort of problem? (Appreciate the help.....TKS so much!0

Snowtrail

Welcome to the Forum.
One of the experts on here says nothing ever goes wrong with 83 Maxims. I have an '83 so I have not had any experience like you are having.
Many of the folks on here do know a great deal and they are very generous with their help. So someone is bound to be able to start you off in the right direction shortly.

I am going to guess "Plug Wires!" I like the easy issues first, and more or less the lest expensive fix. Anyone else wanna guess?

Clean and recheck contacts at T.C.I
Measure resistance of primary and secondary coils and check voltage going to ign. coils (prim. coil)

I am going to guess "Plug Wires!" I like the easy issues first, and more or less the lest expensive fix. Anyone else wanna guess?

Tks for the info............certainly appreciate it! Plug wires..........perhaps so! (Sort of strange for the two of them to act up @ the same time but, then again, strange things......lol.....do happen. Well, @ least it's a start!
I agree......yes, the easy issues first and the least expensive to fix. Thanks again!

Snowtrail

Clean and recheck contacts at T.C.I
Measure resistance of primary and secondary coils and check voltage going to ign. coils (prim. coil)

Tks..... for your help there my friend! (Well-apprecaited!)
Not a big lot of experience when it comes to electrical.......so I'm wondering what exactly is the T.C.I. .................pls excuse my ignorance. Hoping you can enlighten me further on this. (TKS....again for you help......everybody has been so helpful)

Snowtrail

I feel kind of bad....I like my XS400, but it's not a MAXIMUM 400. I guess I would say it's more of a "mediocre" 400.

I feel kind of bad....I like my XS400, but it's not a MAXIMUM 400. I guess I would say it's more of a "mediocre" 400.
How can you feel kind of bad? You have carbs that have stayed clean for 2 years, yours runs and is such a classic - way better looking than SECAs or "SECA-lites" (5spd Maxi).
I wish I could take credit for researching this Forum and following B-W's advice to get an '83 but I just fluked into it. :shrug:
What if I had fluked into a "no spark '82" ? :yikes:

What's wrong with the 82's???
i bought mine in 09 and and other than small maintenance stuff and changing the chain it's been very reliable...

Sorry snowtrail... don't mean to brag.....

Sounds like the ignitor to me. I have had two fail; That being said I replaced with spares I had but did not try to clean the contacts up first. Spares worked well.

So question is: has anyone found a replacement for the oem DOHC ignitor? Ebay shopping for these used ones is getting expensive. For example, do any of the other ignitors work for other bikes?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff.........you're probably right! It may be the Ignitor Unit. The thing is, I do not have one to try on it yet. As well, I have to look first @ getting a used one. Lots of used ones on E. Bay.
I priced them today at a site somewhere online for $400.00 plus. (Kind of expensive, wouldn't you agree!)
From what I have been seeing on the net my bike, the 1982 Maxium ia a XS400J, soooooo.......I am wondering if the electronic equip from the XS400 will fit her. (Is there a difference, really? I don't know!)
Another thing as well, I can not find the V.I.N. on my bike. I know where it is supposed to be but, it is not there. That sticker is there in the handlebar section but, no number. All I am seeing there is the Serial Number engraved into the metal which, is the same number seen on my registration.......a 9-digit number. As for the V.I.N. ...........I am reading that is is supposed to be a 16-digit number with the 10th number from the left identifing the year the bike was made. In my case, it would be a C for the year 1982.
Chr*st.....lol.....it gets more complicated all the time.

Snowtrail

Another thing as well, I can not find the V.I.N. on my bike. I know where it is supposed to be but, it is not there. That sticker is there in the handlebar section but, no number. All I am seeing there is the Serial Number engraved into the metal which, is the same number seen on my registration.......a 9-digit number. As for the V.I.N. ...........I am reading that is is supposed to be a 16-digit number with the 10th number from the left identifing the year the bike was made. In my case, it would be a C for the year 1982.
Unless your bike was manufactured in an earlier year and remained unsold and unregistered until 1982. Then it might have an old 9-digit serial number only.

Hi
The serial number is on the engine and on frame/sticker; the two should match unless the engine has been changed out. It is not the typical VIN...less digits (9) as you point out.

What was the website for the new ignitor?

Not sure if the later SOHC bikes the same ignitor or not; from the forum I see that the older one have points/condensor ignition.

As you are searching for parts, always seach for the 1983 XS 400. My understanding is that both DOHC and SOHC bikes were sold in 1982 so part shopping can be an adventure.

Jeff

The 9 digit # is called the short VIN.
The long VIN has the 17 alpha/numeric #

the following link on xjbikes explains how the VIN #'s work... Although this is for the XJ series i believe Yamaha uses the same formula for all their vehicles.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14577.html

My registration has the 9 digit #

Stamped in the neck tube and on the engine.
15G-001247

Hope this helps.

Old Post, but this may help someone else:
1. Check all connections, including grounds, in entire ignition system. Clean/tighten as needed.
2. Check battery voltage and specific gravity. 12.7v, 1.265 specific gravity. Recharge/replace as needed.
3. Check fuse and fuse connections. Clean/replace as needed.
4. Check resistance of ignition coil. Primary 2.75 Ohms +/- 10%, Secondary 7.9 Ohms +/- 20%, at 68 deg. F. Replace if needed.
5. Check pickup coils for resistance. 120 Ohms +/- 10% at 68 deg. F. Replace if needed.
6. TCI Unit is faulty. Replace.
This is a simple progression from least-to-most expensive, based on KISS.

Back