Flasher Relay

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to replace the flasher relay on a 1980 xs 400 before. If so, about how much are they and where is the best place to get one.

I've done quite a bit a reading and some experimenting on the flashers, especially in regards to LED signal conversions, but don't consider myself an expert. The OEM flasher has three wires, one for hot, one to the turn signal switch, and one to the auto-cancel mechanism. To replace the OEM flasher you will probably need to go to the dealer and even there might have problems getting one. Other than that almost any flasher will do if you are using standard signals but you will lose the auto-cancel capability. Most are less than $10 at any big box auto store. If you converted to LEDs and have not installed ballast resistors you will need a electronic, "low/no draw" flasher. If you cannot get an OEM replacement and want to maintain the auto-cancel feature (assuming that is not the function that died in your old flasher) you can hook up a new flasher in series after the old flasher.

$110 part
Can find used one on ebay for $100 less
I would take my chances and save the $$

Make sure your battery is good and charged or the bike is running because the stock flashers use more power to flash than a auto flasher. I have a few of these used that work fine $18 shipped in the u.s. if you want a stock one:)

Last edited:
I don't really care about the auto cancel. I can always do that myself after turn. So I can just go gert any flasher relay at auto parts store and hook it up? Thats awesome. I guess I would just have to see how to mount it. Thank you very much!
I've done quite a bit a reading and some experimenting on the flashers, especially in regards to LED signal conversions, but don't consider myself an expert. The OEM flasher has three wires, one for hot, one to the turn signal switch, and one to the auto-cancel mechanism. To replace the OEM flasher you will probably need to go to the dealer and even there might have problems getting one. Other than that almost any flasher will do if you are using standard signals but you will lose the auto-cancel capability. Most are less than $10 at any big box auto store. If you converted to LEDs and have not installed ballast resistors you will need a electronic, "low/no draw" flasher. If you cannot get an OEM replacement and want to maintain the auto-cancel feature (assuming that is not the function that died in your old flasher) you can hook up a new flasher in series after the old flasher.

why not just go with stock for same price? Anyway Chris is right, and maybe it's still good but battery is weak. With weak battery I thought mine was bad. It would flash once when i tap on it good with the weak battery in

Back