• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Apox

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the scene, can't find a xs650 anywhere up in the great north so I found a xs400 seca, 30k, looks good, needs little work, etc. Now because it is a seca model will this be difficult or impossible to brat (bobber)? I see I'd prob have to put on a whole new tank as it seems to streamline with the siding and seat, which will obviously be removed! Hehe.

Let me know what you guys think.

Rob

I have an '83 Seca if you go the bobber route I'd like to buy the fuel tank. I also have some spare parts shuld you need anythinglet me know.

I decided not to buy it, the frame is COMPLETELY different. Doesnt even support the motor from the front or under the engine, it basically hangs there on a top and rear mount. the seat is almost directly over the rear wheel, its just to damn cramped. I've been looking for like 4 months in the GTA, even as far as london, for a good winter project I can turn into a bobber, but something with atleast some community. Its near impossible and exhausting, I'm worn out and I havn't even found a bike yet lol... any hints guys? is kijji and craigslist just not a good place to find a good old vintage bike to work on?

I would suggest just looking for an earlier SOHC XS400 that has a typical frame in lieu of the DOHC's backbone with monoshock. Typically, the 400s prior to 1982 were SOHC.

Whoa there Apox.

The Seca with a Maxim tank and Chopped tail and bobbed front fender, a round headlight and instruments from nearly any vintage Yamaha, handle bar and seat of your choice can get the look you are after. Heck the monoshok mimmicks a hardtail or rather a soft tail. And the extra HP and 6 speed trans. can be a good thing.

Don't give up the fight just yet, just do it and save me the fuel tank.

Cheers,

GJ

Jim, i think you should change the fuel tank, not sure which yet, put I think there is potential there (and more work :lol:)

sorry off topic, I'm ill

Jim, i think you should change the fuel tank, not sure which yet, put I think there is potential there (and more work :lol:)

sorry off topic, I'm ill
So you lack confidence in my brazing skills? Well justified, but for now I'm going to pursevere as I have no other choice other than there are NOS out there for around $500.00:(

Read on the forum how many people modify the frame on their pre-'82 xs to install a monoshock.I have an'82 seca next in line for work. lha:bike:

Back