My 77 or 79 bobber build thread

troy7548

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure I might as well start a build thread. First off this bike was my brothers about 16 to 18 years ago when he was learning to ride motorcycle. I also learned how to ride using this bike. It was a cheap bike back when he bought it so it didn't matter to much when we dumped it over in the yard. Over the years my brother sold it to our dad and it has been sitting in his shed for the last 15 years. He did get it out every once in a while for a few years to tinker with it but he didn't have much time for it. Just recently he was cleaning the shed out and said he was going to sell it to the first person with $100. I told him I would take it and he just gave it to me.

So here is where the fun begins. After asking for some help on this forum I learned that the frame of the bike is a 1979 and the motor is a 1977. So at one point someone swapped out motors. The frame had some damage under the seat were it had a very poor weld job to hold the back bracket on. While looking on this forum my bike might be a little different than some it had cast wheels that are both 18 inch rims. I see other posting that there cast rims are 18 inch front and 16 inch back. I like the looks of the bobber in these bikes and have never had one. I have had other bike's 81 Suzuki 350 and a 2000 Suzuki SV650 (before I had kids).

Here is a pic of the bike after taking it out of the shed.
full

First thing I did was to get the bike cleaned up and running. It took a while but wasn't worth wasting money if it didn't run. I did get it running good so now onto the next step.

I picked up a pro builders kit from VooDoo Vintage.
full

I fitted the motor and rear tire.
full

Then mocked up the front with the tank.
full

After stripping out then unnecessary wiring such blinkers, I reran the wiring and made it as hidden as I could. Its not the best pic and everything was totally secured down. this is just a reference for me when I have to put it back together.
full

I'm in the process of getting parts painted at the moment. Going with black frame and parts and matte black engine and rims.
full

I would be careful with those solid foot pegs. If you lean too far over and they catch the ground :doh: Not good! There a reason why they come from the factory as fold ups.

I would be careful with those solid foot pegs. If you lean too far over and they catch the ground :doh: Not good! There a reason why they come from the factory as fold ups.

Yeah we talked about doing something different. I will see when it is all put together. Should not be to hard to change.

Most of the bikes I have seen with your type frame go with forward controls where it wont be an issue.

Back