Choke Q's - does your bike high idle?

bochnak

Matt
Reaction score
Trying to start a bike in 20-30°F and it is very difficult. Electric starter seems too weak, must kick start it.

Also, with choke on, the bike does not "high idle". The idle increases only slightly. Carbs have been cleaned and I verified that the passages are clean. Turning the choke on with a hot engine will kill the bike.

Bike is new to me so I'm not sure how the choke is supposed to act. I'm also asking a lot for it to start in this weather with 20w50 :)

its not a choke but an enrichment device! the bike normally raises the revs.

How can you verify the passages are clean? I can never verify mine, there is only cause and effect to go by.

sounds like battery on its way out due to the lower temps, but the oil is a little thick for that weather. Mines got a little electric oil heater under it ATM

its not a choke but an enrichment device! the bike normally raises the revs.

How can you verify the passages are clean? I can never verify mine, there is only cause and effect to go by.

sounds like battery on its way out due to the lower temps, but the oil is a little thick for that weather. Mines got a little electric oil heater under it ATM

yeah, yeah enrichment circuit/device :D

By passages, I mean the pickup tube in float area that leads to the choke starter body is clean.

My pilot screws are 3 turns out. I pulled the plugs after some idle time, they are black. I will try 2-2.5 out and see if it clears up.

When I start the engine from cold, enrichener full on- it idles at around 1200-1400 rpm. As the engine warms up. the idle increases. That is the sign to put it on half enrichener and when the idle rise at half, that is the sign to turn it off.

When I start the engine from cold, enrichener full on- it idles at around 1200-1400 rpm. As the engine warms up. the idle increases. That is the sign to put it on half enrichener and when the idle rise at half, that is the sign to turn it off.

OK, thanks. Mine is a 76' xs360 with only one position for choke.

Back