Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

1981 g/sg

Attachments

• 1981 XS400 G_SG.PNG
    1981 XS400 G_SG.PNG
    68 KB · Views: 5,588
Last edited:
Thanks for the color post Jayel. Its sure going to make it easier on these old squinty squinting bifocal eyes when I don't have to look at the mini lettering on the b/w diagram. Plus a lot easier to follow the routing.:thumbsup:

Hey guys, will the xs400f be the same as the J? I found an 82 wiring harness for a Seca but the color codes are completley different. My wife's bike dropped spark on one cylinder and then fried the inline fuse in the clutch switch system. Why the **** is a fuse in the cluctch switch system??? I'm looking to cut out the rats nest and simplify, the simplified xs400 diagram is basic function for everything I take it? Thanks for any help guys.

Let me just say THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY much you have saved me so much time and effort

Here's my problem...NEED HELP. Im in the process of wiring up very small 12 volt battery to give just power to the alternater. I plan to run everything else off the alternater. Anyboby know how to do this????

Here's my problem...NEED HELP. Im in the process of wiring up very small 12 volt battery to give just power to the alternater. I plan to run everything else off the alternater. Anyboby know how to do this????

you have already asked this question elsewhere, why re post it? :confused:

This is my shot on a reduced wiring diagram, based on the diagram found on xs400.net
It's got blinkers, horn, electrical starter (which I won't use in my wiring harness), hi/low beam...
What's still missing is the speedo light and the plate lights which are needed for a street legal bike in Germany. But it's easy to add since you can just connect the cables to the rear light wiring.
I cut out hi/low indication, blinker indication, neutral indication and oil presure indication and kill switch (should work with just the ignition lock).
Maybe someone can have a look at the diagram, I'm pretty new to that shit so I might have made a mistake or two.

Edit: it's a '79 2A2 and I'll try to translate the parts when I got some spare time

Last edited:
on the wiring diagram in the manual, it only shows a ignitor unit on the 81` models. does the earlier ones need them? i would assume so, but it doesnt show, unless theres a different name for it. and no, i dont see a CDI either. my bike is a 79, and im lookin forward to mitch reposting his. cuz i need help. bad. lol

Volcomskater77 asked:
on the wiring diagram in the manual, it only shows a ignitor unit on the 81` models. does the earlier ones need them? i would assume so, but it doesnt show, unless theres a different name for it. and no, i dont see a CDI either. my bike is a 79, and im lookin forward to mitch reposting his. cuz i need help. bad. lol
Yamaha didn't start with the TCI units until 1980. Your bike should have points. Hope this helps clear the confusion.

I will repost as soon as I have a new notebook. Mine broke but luckily I saved the diagram on an external HDD

Hi All
first post so a big thanks to all you guys making this a great resource. i have been having trouble getting my non runner purchase to start. after finding a few components not working as they should i decided to take to shortest path to start. i wanted to share this with those like myself that may have been hesitant at first with the electrics.
so if you want to know it the thing starts before you poor some more money into it, this may be of help. Aptly named.

Cheers Guys

Attachments

• start ya bastart!.jpg
    start ya bastart!.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 1,958
hi does any one know it you have to unground the brushes on the xs 400 for the simple striped down wiring cuz on the xs650 you do?, im only running the kick strat and not much else, and if any know why you have to unground them and how to get to them thanks.

Im having trouble with my charging system any tips

hi does any one know it you have to unground the brushes on the xs 400 for the simple striped down wiring cuz on the xs650 you do?, im only running the kick strat and not much else, and if any know why you have to unground them and how to get to them thanks.

Hey guys... I'm sure your questions would get a lot more attention if they were in their own threads. Unless your problem is directly related to the first post of the thread, it's usually best to start your own thread. Also be sure to add plenty of details about the problem, what bike you have, what you've done so far, etc... :thumbsup:

Hey guys... I'm sure your questions would get a lot more attention if they were in their own threads. Unless your problem is directly related to the first post of the thread, it's usually best to start your own thread. Also be sure to add plenty of details about the problem, what bike you have, what you've done so far, etc... :thumbsup:

that's one way of putting it Travis :D

Back