My wife's 1978 XS400

MarcT

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Let me start by saying that XS400.com has been a great resource for my wife and I. We had been looking for something that would be perfect for her first bike and after reading many threads and sorting through a bunch of builds/photos/etc, she decided that an XS400 with some basic mods would be just right for her.

We picked up this '78 on Wednesday. It's been bored out .50 over and maintained quite well. It does have some non-original parts on it such as, unknown crotch rocket rear signals, honda front fender, XS650 rear fender, and some cheapo looking street bike grips. Aside from that, the frame, engine and everything else for that matter looked to be in fantastic shape for a 36 year old bike! Considering the condition, I think we picked it up for a really fair deal.

Although it had a fresh professional paint job, the metal flake red with flames wasn't exactly my wife's cup of tea. For the sake of respecting the work that went into filling the tank and side covers, plus all the prep and paint, I suggested that we plastidip those parts to make sure she definitely liked the look of white paint on the bike.

My wife is about 5'1", so lowering the bike was also on the roster for things to do this weekend. I found a set of cherry 2004 Rebel shocks on ebay and had them shipped to my door by Saturday for less than $55. I intend to lower the forks with cut springs and dampner spacers, but for now we just slid the legs up through the trees 1 5/8".

Considering we've only had a few days with the bike already, I know we're both really happy with how well it's turning out. I know she'd like to get a shorter seat (perhaps in brown or dark tan).

As far as the dipping goes; we used white plastidip for the tank and covers... I watched many videos and tutorials before jumping into this and i felt like I would get the best results possible with what I had learned. Unfortunately the tank and covers came out a bit texturized, whereas the Rustoleum Flexidip that we used on the wheels came out super smooth. I guess I was holding the can a little bit too far from the pieces while I was working with the white stuff. :doh:

Anyway, enough of the story telling... On to the pics!

When we picked it up:

Within a couple of hours of getting it in the garage:

Prep on the wheels:

First coat of dip:

Starting the wheels:

Almost ridable again:

I had to swap the bushings from the stock shocks to the rebel shocks, I also had to slighlty rearrange the rear brake hose routing and remove the chainguard due to the larger outside diameter of the rebel shocks.

Headlight housing has been re-sprayed in 'champagne' and it looks really good. Should have that all back together tonight.

Looks good:thumbsup: Looks like you need to put a fuel filter between the gas tank and carbs tho:wink2: Trust me, you need to do it:)

Thanks for all the kind words and for the advice about installing an in-line filter... I need to put one on my Harley too!

Anyway... Got back to business on the XS the other night... Put freshly painted headlight bucket back on and cleaned up the rat's nest of a wiring harnesses that lives inside the headlight, cut and re-welded the kick stand (I'd still like to go a little lower), and got her road worthy once again..

Here's some more pics of the progress..

Maiden Voyage!

Looks good. Remember to leave the petcock set to on ( or res if you are low on fuel). If it is set on pri it will keep letting fuel flow with the bike off. That should only be used to prime the carbs with fuel after a long sit and the bowls go dry. Or for syncing the carbs and the vacuum line is unable to be used to operate the petcock.

Nice grab MarcT. I saw that bike on Craigslist but was totally turned off by the paint job haha.

I'm another NJ guy....Dover to be exact

Love the new paint scheme

Btw I have an extra stock front fender and also have a set of rebel shocks I would have sold you for $40. Should have posted on the forum. Let me know if there is anything random you might need or missing. I have some extra crap laying around

Looks good. Remember to leave the petcock set to on ( or res if you are low on fuel). If it is set on pri it will keep letting fuel flow with the bike off. That should only be used to prime the carbs with fuel after a long sit and the bowls go dry. Or for syncing the carbs and the vacuum line is unable to be used to operate the petcock.

Good advice! Thanks... I actually became familiar with this function when I was trying to completely drain the tank prior to plasti-dipping. The PRI setting allowed to fuel to flow like a river through the petcock.

Btw I have an extra stock front fender and also have a set of rebel shocks I would have sold you for $40. Should have posted on the forum. Let me know if there is anything random you might need or missing. I have some extra crap laying around

Bummer! My loss.. I appreciate the offer though! I'm pretty sure the next item on our list is a new seat. She would prefer something quite a bit slimmer that will compliment the lower look of the bike.

Good job! Does she like the white? It looks like it fits her good now.

She loves it! The white was her choice... Matches her car. The bike fits her perfectly now! We took a 1 hour ride yesterday (we live in a very rural area) and she had a great time. Flat footed at stops and super comfortable in general.

As a result of the ride, I noticed the idle seems to increase quite a bit once the engine gets hot. Basically at cold start it will idle nicely around 1k, but upon returning home the idle was screaming at 3k.... I had adjusted the dial in between the carbs to set the idle at 1k earlier that day... I am thinking it might be a throttle cable sticking issue. Any ideas?

It could be a few things. One your pilot circuit in the carbs are dirty causing a lean condition. The carbs could be a bit out of sync. Or you may need to richen the pilot circuit by adjusting the idle mix screws. To richen you need to turn the screws out. With the stock pilot jets (42.5) don't go more than 4 turns out from seated. If you need more you will need larger jets (45) There are more threads on this in the forum.

Another thing I was just thinking was the 78 has the idle mix screws that tent to break off in the carb bodies. Make sure yours are good and the hole is clear. If they are fine just make sure when you adjust them to seat them VERY softly before you turn them out. It the tips are not broken but are worn with a visible notch before the tip replace them!! It is only a matter of time before they will break.

Attachments

• DSC02666.jpg
    DSC02666.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02667.jpg
    DSC02667.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 108
Back