erratic idle, clean carbs. first bike!

panzer

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, i got my first bike a 76 xs360. when i bought it, it ran good, i rode it for a bit then i put new handlebars on it, and it went haywire. the idle would rise uncontrollably. i put the original bars back on, cleaned the carbs, put in a new battery, changed the oil, but now the bike idles poorly, and the idle still climbs. sometimes it idles fine for a bit then dies, sometimes it idles for a bit then slowly rises, sometimes it idles very high very fast. I can't seem to get a handle on things! any ideas you guys have would be much appreciated!

I am having similar issues, but I have taken my carbs apart and cleaned, then reassembled a couple times to make sure it was all good, but I think I am just going to have to take mine to a guy here in town and let him do it and learn from him.

At the same time though, I have no air filtration at the moment, and I am sure that isn't helping. I did adjust the idle screw a bit under the carb to get better results, and I also noticed that when my idle would rise on its own, it was because I had tension on the throttle cable at the handles where I had something ties on, not paying attention. when i removed it it didn't spike like before.

thats what i thought originally, so i lubed the cable and made sure it had a good routing. that i think is irrelevant now.

Back