Pics of my 79 XS400 Cafe Racer Build With Single Carb Setup

Thanks guys! And yup. I registered it a couple days after I got it and I havn't even got the title back yet lol. I was like a mad man on the internet ordering little parts the night I got it so I had all my parts within a week.

Hmm... no clue. I never changed em so I assumed they were stock since the bike was bone stock when I got it. I might count em later on. What is stock tooth count?

Thank you Spad. Precciate it! I love my projects!

Attachments

• SAM_0165.jpg
    SAM_0165.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 364
  • SAM_0166.jpg
    SAM_0166.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 364
Alright, I didnt edit this video AT ALL, so excuse the girly 2" wheelies. I am better with a wrench then I am at video stuff. The little 400 will pull the wheel off the ground easily but just doesnt have quite what it takes to keep it up. At least with this newb...

psh brakes....u can like jam ur foot up behind the forks, used to do it all the time back when BMX was cool

Manifold is mandrel bent exhaust piping from a 1980 honda CX500 cut down and made into a Y pipe with the stem being slightly larger in diameter for carb to boot to. Made the mounting plates from just 3/16 steel. Jetting is custom. Pilot jet is ALMOST un touched. Needs very very little on pilot. Main jet is ported out quite a bit.

I made the mistake when I first hooked it up of drilling out the jets too big thinking it would need twice the fuel. Well the cylinders have very little overlap in their timing so for the most part its only one cylinder at a time pulling in which. I ended up WAY too rich and had to pull the jets from the other carb and just do it little by little. I prob pulled them out and filed a little more 10 times checking the plugs each time before I got it right where I wanted it. Just dont drill them out too big. If you do make it too rich, you can heat up the jet(out of the carb) with a torch and fill it with silver solder. Then just re-drill to size. :) Gonna be trial and error. No two ways about it.

Back