Air Filters....wtf

jthiessen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So get this:

I drove to work one day, everything was fine and dandy. I park my bike and see that I am missing my left Air Filter. Awesome. It separated between the rubber H-Pipe insert and the metal collar that grips into it. Called my wife, asked her to retrace my route. Thank Valhalla she actually found it. Duct-taped it on, rode home, siliconed it on - Job Done.

Yesterday I went for another ride. Got home, missing my RIGHT Air Filter... Here in lies the wtf. This time the filter fell apart between metal collar and filter material.

What the heck? They are the Pods from MikesXS that the PO had installed. The right filter had Electrical tape around the OD of the pod. What the?

I am frustrated because I need to ride this weekend for work but I won't be able to get any filters in time... And I assume that it isn't keen to ride without a filter.

What would cause the filters to fall apart and come off? :banghead:

What would cause the filters to fall apart and come off? :banghead:

collars not tight enough, Vibrations, wind turbulence, etc...

screw them buggers on tight.. or buy some new uni filters and tape the ones on there until the new ones arrive...whats that saying...

if it moves and it shouldnt : Duct tape
If it doesnt move and it should: WD40

A bit of filter foam secured over the h-pipe inlet would at least keep debris out until you get a new filter on there.
I don't know if it's come up before. Are you in Victoria? I have a sheet of unused filter foam here.

Mikes xs pods are junk. Uni's or real K&N. OD should be 52mm or so. Put them on the pipes so the ribs can grab each other. No tape or glue needed. :)

Attachments

• DSC02902.jpg
    DSC02902.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC02903.jpg
    DSC02903.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC02904.jpg
    DSC02904.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 356
If you can find them K&N use to make a set for the xs360/400 that fit like the stock ones do. Always use filters that are long and round as they will create less air turbulence than short tapered ones.

Attachments

• DSC02905.jpg
    DSC02905.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC02906.jpg
    DSC02906.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 360
  • user3160_pic4376_1375883337.jpg
    user3160_pic4376_1375883337.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 363
Are you in Victoria?
No, unfortunately I am in Kelowna.

OD should be 52mm or so.
Just went out to measure the OD of my Carbs and H-Pipe.
The Carb is 55mm OD
The H-Pipe seems to be 48mm OD
Would that make sense? I was hoping the Carb and H-Pipe would share the same OD so that I could maybe swap out the H-Pipe at some point, but I guess not...

Not sure why you get 48mm. I have three sets of these and all where about the same:confused:

Attachments

• DSC02908.jpg
    DSC02908.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC02907.jpg
    DSC02907.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 343
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427514463.667454.jpg
Okay so here is the just. I think my h-pipe has been shortened. I have never noticed that before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427514562.284897.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427514583.300216.jpg

So I guess the PO has trimmed it.
The filter that was in the bike:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427514905.461007.jpg

Also what is this white stuff where the crank case connects?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427514646.614616.jpg

Also, the trimmed end of the H-Pipe feels much more soft. Which makes me think that it would probably be a better seal to use a filter that fits inside the H-pipe rather than around it...

Your h-pipe is stock and don't look to be cut. The pic of the h-pipe with the k&n filters is off a xs360. It's not the same as the xs400 style. If you want the best performance out of an H-pipe and filters that stay on go over the pipe:wink2: Just as I posted in the previous post. Also ditch those horrible pods you have.

Your h-pipe is stock and don't look to be cut. The pic of the h-pipe with the k&n filters is off a xs360. It's not the same as the xs400 style. If you want the best performance out of an H-pipe and filters that stay on go over the pipe:wink2: Just as I posted in the previous post. Also ditch those horrible pods you have.

Okay so it is an unmodified xs400 style h-pipe (it measures 93mm / 3.6" front to back). Still a bit unusual that the OD measures 50mm - no?

I think I will order some Uni's with a 50mm ID. Think that should work.

Try a bit of silicone spray or WD40 around the inside of the rubber h-pipe. I would think it should slip right on.

The ones that I showed are 52mm. DON'T USE ANY WD40 OR SILICONE!!! You want a clean dry surface to mate the two rubber parts together. The ribbing will also hold them in place. I ran the bike like this for a year on NY's crappy tore up roads and never lost one.

The ones that I showed are 52mm. DON'T USE ANY WD40 OR SILICONE!!! You want a clean dry surface to mate the two rubber parts together. The ribbing will also hold them in place. I ran the bike like this for a year on NY's crappy tore up roads and never lost one.

Just a suggestion. If you are trying to mate two rubber parts, or rubber to metal parts, and feel you need to lubricate them DO NOT use any oils or silicone as this will make them slide on easy and slide right off just as easy! Instead after they are nice and clean use a bit of isopropyl alcohol. This will help them slip together and quickly evaporate leaving them to stay in place.

Where can you find this isopropyl alcohol? Any auto parts store has it, look for "Gas line anti-freeze"

Back