newbie saying hi from the UK

redratbike

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

new here so thought i'd pop by and say hi

just bought the rattiest looking xs250 you've ever see ..non runner so def a project..needs lots of work so will not be restored so leaning towards the flat-tracker or bobber look.

i'll get outside and post up a pic as soon as its stops raining :-( bike will live outside under cover so it will be a slow going project as and when weather and funds allow.

got a few bits on order to hopefully get it up and running ..had the engine turning over by shorting out the solenoid but no spark

thanks in advance for all the silly questions i'm hoping to get answers to

Hey Drewpy

i take it us Brits are in the minority here

i'm down in kent ..been looking at your tracker build..very nice..would love to say mine would be that good but some how i think not..lol

Welcome! Love the U.K. and you Brits. My ancestors are Welsh but don't hold that against me. I'd rather be sitting in one of those neighborhood pubs right now having a pint than almost anywhere!

Hey Drewpy

i take it us Brits are in the minority here

i'm down in kent ..been looking at your tracker build..very nice..would love to say mine would be that good but some how i think not..lol

nice one :thumbsup:

did you see the xs250 tracker on ebay? he did a good job, but no charging system on it and no lights.

saved the picture

Attachments

• side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 383
nice one :thumbsup:

did you see the xs250 tracker on ebay? he did a good job, but no charging system on it and no lights.

saved the picture

JESUS! that looks like a proper racer ..like the monoshock..and i do like the idea of a bigger disc and caliper as i'm used to an Aprilia Mille and that has awesome brakes ..although of course the speeds will be no where near ..lol

i fancy one of those seats with the number boards ..but firstly need to get mine running

then look for another tank and the seat

Question..how muck longer are custom forks over the standard? and do you recomend jacking the rear to match?..thanks

Welcome! Love the U.K. and you Brits. My ancestors are Welsh but don't hold that against me. I'd rather be sitting in one of those neighborhood pubs right now having a pint than almost anywhere!

thanks for the welcome..no harm meant by the lack of Brits.. the only thing you need to hold against you is a sheep with that welsh blood :D

i normally hang out on Aprilia sites as i've got an Aprilia Mille but fancied something small and cheap to run around on..have wanted a tracker for ages and a £50 old rat bike seemed like a good start ..although you may think differently when you see the pics:eek:

JESUS! that looks like a proper racer ..like the monoshock..and i do like the idea of a bigger disc and caliper as i'm used to an Aprilia Mille and that has awesome brakes ..although of course the speeds will be no where near ..lol

i fancy one of those seats with the number boards ..but firstly need to get mine running

then look for another tank and the seat

Question..how muck longer are custom forks over the standard? and do you recomend jacking the rear to match?..thanks

that's what I did to mine, the special front forks are about an inch longer.

managed to get cheapo rear shocks from Stafford classic bike show the correct length. it transforms the look of the bike.

As for mono shock I like the Milvin xs400 with the shock under the frame. I did see an xs650 on cafe racer with the shock at the front :eek:

that's what I did to mine, the special front forks are about an inch longer.

managed to get cheapo rear shocks from Stafford classic bike show the correct length. it transforms the look of the bike.

As for mono shock I like the Milvin xs400 with the shock under the frame. I did see an xs650 on cafe racer with the shock at the front :eek:

Great , thanks for that..one leg has nearly rusted through near the yokes...but the rest of the bike isnt as bad as that although its not good

i''ll keep my eyes out for bits then ..

thanks for the welcome..no harm meant by the lack of Brits.. the only thing you need to hold against you is a sheep with that welsh blood :D

i normally hang out on Aprilia sites as i've got an Aprilia Mille but fancied something small and cheap to run around on..have wanted a tracker for ages and a £50 old rat bike seemed like a good start ..although you may think differently when you see the pics:eek:
I always loved the old Benny Hill line. He described a "Welsh rarebit" as a virgin from Cardiff!

Welcome to the site mate :thumbsup: If you are an Aprilia fan, like the look of the tracker Drewpy posted and are after a larger front disc brake think about fitting the RS125 forks. They swap in really easily apparently with just a change of bearings in the headstock.

Good luck with your build :bike:

In case you need some wheels....
ha ha already watching them..lol

as for the rs125 forks i cant believe but i sold a set a few years back had to clear out my lock up and sold a complete xs750 in bits and an old tracker /bobber project that i had a set of rs125 forks fitted into ..complete with wire wheel of an old trials bike matching rear .. but it all had to go so ..just starting again really with a project bike

ok then as promised photo's of the £50 wreck i bought in reality slaeagble bits are frame+swingarm,engine,wheels and wiring loom the rest is shot to bits

dig the seat made out of duct tape!!!

asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject003.jpg

asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject002.jpg

asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject001.jpg

blue tube and funnel as a quick source of fuel
asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject004.jpg

and anyone know what this plug is for ? cant see anything it should mate up to ?

asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject006.jpg

asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject005.jpg

so there it is

got someone who can shotblast the wheels and frame/swingarm and powder coated for a drink ( cheap!!) but first i need to get it running.

i'll be asking all those annoying newbie questions so bare with me..

welcome aboard :thumbsup:

that's a signal flasher plug...yours obviously missing:wink2:

aha well done another thing to buy..lol although not sure if i can run without flashers / indicators on this year plate in the uk

plan is to get it running ..get all electrics and switches working then pull it apart to chop frame etc etc

Before you buy anything ask on here first. I've managed to replace just about everything on my bike and have spares kicking around and I'm sure Drew and some of the other UK members have too.

I don't need flashers as its a '78. don't really need lights either, but it helps to see and be seen. need to check your date of manufacture and check the MOT regs.

Back