82 Maxim Cafe Build

Docwits

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, new to this forum and to bike building. Purchased a 82 maxim from another member on here, KeithP. This forum has been an incredible source of information! I have currently broken down the front end and am in the process of shortening the front forks and shaving/polishing everything. I will post more pics as I progress. I know my challenges ahead of me, in particular getting the stance correct on the maxim frame. I got a xs special tank that I am modifying and am looking at options to convert to wire spokes. We'll see....

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 355
Thanks squirrely! Spent the day grinding, sanding and buffing! I think they should have come like this from the factory. Also included a pic of the tank I am playing with.

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 351
Awesome! Good luck!

A fork shortening is in order for me too, but I'd like to get the bike running at a shorter fork height first, to get a feel for how it will change the riding characteristics. My fear is that the downtubes hang pretty low, and I don't want to bottom out...

Thought I would give you all an update on my project. Found time to rebuild and shorten the forks. Lots of sanding and polishing. And just when you are about to curse the project and your cramped hands, you start putting parts back on the bike and see your vision start to form. All worth it!

I shortened the forks 2 1/2 inches and used the Minton Mods method, increasing the amount of fork oil, and increasing the preload. We'll see how it rides, but I'm a long ways off from finding that out.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 293
looks a lot like what I am doing.I like it.
If you want to ride with shorter forks, just push them further up into the tree and clamp down on them when you get them where you want them.

Thanks for the encouragement! I already shortened the forks while I was rebuilding them, but if I need to shorten them more to get the stance right I will slide em up in the trees. I am limited though, the clubman bars are right over the fork ends. Worst case I will switch to clip ons. A lot will depend on how high I can get the tail. I knew this would be a challenge with the maxim frame.

I am on vacation this week, so hoping to get a lot done. Spent most of the day working out the rear frame. Trying to get the stance right. Removed all the tabs/mounts, and welded up a end brace. Don't have a way to bend pipe, so am going with a squared off loop. Since I am going to cover with café seat, didn't see the need to pay someone to bend it. Tomorrow I am going to fab up an under seat 'tray" for the electronics/battery, and a relocated upper shock mount. (Gonna run a modern monoshock.

No making fun of my welds! I haven't welded since high school.

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 340
The tank is off an '81 heritage. Had to bang the piss out of the underside to get it to fit over the backbone. I also have a tank I got off a Suzuki gs550 that I am going to try. According to another member on here it will fit if you grind down the "cup" mounts on the underside. I am not sure which tank I will use, but both will require welding up some custom mounts. To my knowledge there is not a direct fit tank for the maxim/seca.

Well, I didn't get as much done today as I had hoped. I guess that's always the case. I was able to fab up and burn in the shock mounts and the rear tank mount. I am using a modern monoshock from a 98 YZF R1. It was shorter than the stock shock, plus I wanted to raise the ass up so I had to move the upper mount back.

I am not crazy about the color of the spring, has anyone had any luck painting them? It has a rubber coating on it.

I had planned on going with a silver color scheme on the bike with red accents but may have to change it to yellow accents.

Here are some pics of todays accomplishments. Any feedback would be great.

And as always, no poking fun at my welds! I know they're ugly but I got good penetration, and none of them will be visible when bike is completed.

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 310
Looking good. If you go with a silver scheme I would leave the yellow shock. It just kinda pops and looks cool. Thats my opinion though. I like what you have done with a dohc model so far. COOL build

Dave, I was wondering about that. Does the reservoir have to be on top? If I flip it, it gets in the way of the pod filters. I could always go with a different set up, like velocity stacks but am worried about not "filtering" the air.

If anyone knows if I can run like this please let me know. I am very new to bike building.

And again, thanks for the encouragement and help!

I wouldnt worry about it to much. The shock should perform the same, compression-shock gets shorter, rebound-shock gets longer. It doesnt matter which eyelet is up or which eyelet is down especially not on a pressurized gas shock like the one you have, and as far as having the reservoir on the bottom Im pretty sure that it doesn't matter because I have seen stock bikes with the reservoir on the bottom. Here is a bike with them mounted with the reservoir at the bottom. Just to show you:thumbsup: cool build

big_ncr_new_blue_stradale.jpg

Back