1/4” collet rotary tools???

peebuck

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m starting this thread because Im in the process of polishing the head of the bike using my Dremel. Then decide to start porting and polishing the head. How ever I can’t reach the inside of the bowls w/ my Dremel.

East wood sells a port and polish mandrill kit how ever it requires a 1/4” collet. The largest Dremel collet is 1/8” coming up quit a bit short there...

I have been searching the inter web for 1/4” collet rotary tools and come up empty handed.

My question is who knows of a good 1/4” collet rotary tool that is not pneumatic. I have not been able to find one either
electronic nor pneumatic. I know that exists but how do I find them????

I would be very careful on removing any material on the ports. A bit of smoothing of the exhaust port to remove any large high spot is ok. The intakes should have some roughness to them to help mix air and gas. Unless you know how to match and flow the head ports I would let them be for the most part. It's not just hog them out and get a race bike. Remove too much and you can make the bike run worse. Aluminum is prone to developing cracks around valve guides also.

Youll find 1/4" collets in pneumatic tools. Any type of die grinder will work.

Dremel makes their own tool bits that can be used for polishing/porting. Keep in mind that the Dremel will spin fast enough to throw a 1/8 bit off balance and may cause damage to your work. Pretty sure Dremel also makes a flex extension that attaches to the snout of the Dremel.

Also, I see youre in Killington, I cant wait to hop on the K1 for the full top-to-bottom run... Getting the midweek season pass soon! Im up there almost every week during the season.

All you need to do to the intake side is match the size of the intake boot to the opening of the port. Yamaha did this to all the motors from the factory but with quick turn around times and need for speed over exactness some are better than others.

Something like this is what I snagged years ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Handheld-Grinder-Polisher-Insulation/dp/B005E1S1E2/ref=sr_1_9?gclid=Cj0KCQjwh8jrBRDQARIsAH7BsXc1_umnajx1bs0BwRqRWrOAXupVht5cS8-ZgPMhbr5RLv0eYnmiMtMaAn1nEALw_wcB&hvadid=241915203827&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9019865&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8079508045148082863&hvtargid=aud-646675773986:kwd-42675069784&hydadcr=24630_10399594&keywords=1/4+electric+die+grinder&qid=1567833933&s=gateway&sr=8-9
Woof, that's a long link, apologies. Worked okay for the couple intake manifolds and heads I did long ago. Thrashy and loud and not as nice as the $100+ ones, but was adequate.

Edit: be careful on 1/4" vs 6mm shaft sizes apparently. Reading reviews shows a fair number of troubles with similar "economy" grinders.

Last edited:
Back