$100 parts bike find... and I have an electric start question

got20z

1977 XS360
Reaction score
Went and picked this 1981 xs400 for parts yesterday to help with my current 360 build. Engine is seized but I still thought it was a good value for $100 and a few hours of driving.

This bike has electric start. My 360 project does not. Have any of you ever had 2 bikes like this and swapped parts to make the non electric start bike electric start? I'm wondering if it's worth trying or not. Electric start would be nice.

Attachments

• 20190317_115007.jpg
    20190317_115007.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 214
Haven't done the procedure myself but shouldn't be too hard.
Swap in starter motor, alternator rotor with starter clutch, chain, chain guide, starter solenoid, and add a separate starter button or swap handlebar controls.
Adding a separate starter button might be easier than swapping controls as the wiring harness probably won't match up directly with the 81's controls.
Would need to compare connectors and wiring between the handlebar controls.

Swapping the wiring harness is an option but I think it would be a lot more of a headache than adding wires where necessary.
The 81 would have different ignition wiring for the electronic ignition. There are also more safety interlocks for the starter motor.
Maybe nice features to have but complicates the swap:
Screenshot_20190317-095639.png

Hang onto the brackets and blanks that come out of the 360 motor. There's some demand for them from people that delete the starter motor.

May just be better off getting the 400 fixed. Lots more power than the 360 and it will have an electric start. ;)

Back