18" front and 16" rear dual sport tire search

reyman

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I'm building this tracker/scrambler out of my xs and I am having trouble finding proper tires for it.
I was originally going to put heidenau k60 tires on my bike but later found out (because I'm kind of a novice) that my bike has odd sized rims and although I have found matching tires that fit they all pretty much are the same and don't have the roughness and size I'm looking for.

So I'm wondering if you guys know of any tires similar to the k60 tires that would fit my bike?

Ah thank you, I thought I had gone through all the major brands but I somehow missed the trailwing

I just ordered a Duro HF904 in a 130/90-16 and a Shinko 244 in a 3.50-18 for my 80 Special II. Can't wait for them to get here.

I've spent about 3 hours searching for a matching set of 18" front/16" rear dual purpose tires. I don't think they are out there, if so, please prove me wrong. :)

The Duro HF904 and Shinko 244 combination looks really nice, I was thinking about going with a set of trailwing tw35 100/90-18 for the front and tw40 120/90-16 for the rear.
What sites do you recommend that have international shipping? Preferably european.

Maybe dual purpose tires are different then street tires, but I was always told that you should stick with matching tires. Any thoughts folks?

In my opinion, matching tires is the best option. That said, I'm currently running a Duro front tire and Kenda rear. I have noticed that the Duro doesn't have the same grip that the Kenda has, especially in cold temps on the street. Probably due to differing rubber compounds. Off road it is more a question of how aggressive the tread pattern is.

I've been running the TW39 (19") front and TW40 (16") rear. The rear tire is very soft and has been wearing very quickly. I'm currently below 1/2 tread after only 8k km. I anticipate buying another rear tire in the next few weeks, and possibly anger in the fall. I guess that should be expected when using a tire designed for a 250 on a 400...

As this was the closest thing I saw to what I was searching for...I just bought a set of 3.00X18 and 3.00X16 tires for the XS400. While the rear looks significantly smaller than the stock rear, we'll see what it really looks like. And hey, for $30, and since it'll physically fit on the rim, what do I have to lose?

I thought stock on the 400 was 3.50 front and back?
My 360 is 3.00 front and 3.50 rear.

Back