1975 RD250B

ksqrly

XS400 Aficionado
Reaction score
HI all I am a member of this forum and I just finished my xs400 dohc build (not really ever done). The xs was my first build, and I had to have another. I wanted something unique and fun to ride. I searched for a while and a couple of months ago I found a 1975 RD 250 non-running. I am so excited to have a 2stroke, and a new bike. Anyone on here play with 2strokes?

RD XS.jpg
RD chopped.jpg
Pulled engine.jpg
Engine Tare Down 1.jpg

Nice. I remember when unless you could afford a Honda there were only 2 strokes.
I do remember always having oil on my hands, so, to the best of my ancient recollection, .. :umm: .. you will have a great deal of trouble changing the oil on that bike.

I recall reading recently that one needs to be careful these days to choose the right oil for an older 2-stroke engine. Not sure if it was about ash content, or zinc content or whether to avoid vegetable or synthetic bases which weren't invented when the engine was built - or what.
Anyway, do some reading before you just assume that most expensive is best (in case it isn't - for you engine). And if the label on the oil says a higher mix ratio is okay because their oil is so great, while Yamaha said something different when they made it, stick with what Yamaha said - at least until you read independent verification that you can reduce the mix IF you buy the new fancy stuff.

One more thing, when you make your dramatic, first, triumphant slow ride into town to show off the new restoration, pick your direction carefully - so you will be riding against the wind :thumbsup:

Lucky. Im going to go for a brat/tracker look. I really like the xs400 and cl450 that spincycle industries built so I will use those for inspiration, but with some differences. For example, Im not going to use huge tires.

Thanks for the input lou. I am member on another forum called 2strokeworld, and they have loads of resources for this bike. As far as oil goes it has an injector pump so I wont have to premix. That could change though. We will see

Not to hijack but since it was mentioned my 74 enduro 360DT was oil injECTED.Man I miss that bike.
ksqrly if you need engine parts or something you cant find let me know.I have a source to alot of old rd`s

two stroke oil comes in many flavours, injection/pre mix and there is also a 100:1 ratio oil :eek:

I'm doing a 1973 Gilera 50 which is pre mix and have got Motul 170 oil.

Back