1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

1977-78 xs400 tank on a 1981 xs400se?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Firestone, Sep 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Firestone

Firestone XS400 Enthusiast

What do you guys think, would the more squared tank fit on the 1981 400se?

I have the xs400se with the stock tank, but i kinda like how the older tank lines up with the frame. Gives it a nicer look in my opinion.

1981 Yamaha xs400se
    [​IMG]

1977-1978 Yamaha xs400
    [​IMG]

Sorry for repost, if its already answered in some earlier topics.

2. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

There are threads on this in the forum:wink2: For a square tank on a round tank frame you have to modify the frame to fit it. The rear mounting bolt is not the same. Also the seat will not line up the same and you will have a big gap between them.

3. Firestone

Firestone XS400 Enthusiast

Yep they are different in length, so it sounds logical that the rear mounting bolt is not the same :doh: :laugh:

But are the frames the same in shape or are there some major differences as well?

4. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Frames are for the most part the same. There are mounting tabs and points that are different tho.