1978 Drum Rear Wheel Bearing Spacer Parts ID

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Oh hi.

I'm replacing the wheel bearings on my rear wheel at the moment.

I think I might be missing a part.

See the diagram

I am looking at numbers 9, 8, and 10.

I have the spacer (8), and what I think is the flange spacer (9), but I did not see another spacer. What is 10? Is it another flange spacer like 9? That is, I think I am missing #10.

Also, does anyone have a good picture of how the flanges go on the spacer?

Found it! It was stuck in the old large bearing. Is it supposed to be a tight fit?

The thin flange spacer goes on with the flat side facing the back of the small bearing?

Found it! It was stuck in the old large bearing. Is it supposed to be a tight fit?

The thin flange spacer goes on with the flat side facing the back of the small bearing?

Hi bc, yeah they are press fitted into the bearing im pretty sure. Easiest way to put the old flange into your new bearing is to put it into a vice and slowly tighten it until it is pressed right in. Getting it out of the old bearing is the hard part, nothing a dremel or carfully used angle grinder cant fix :) I cut the old bearing off to remove the flange spacer, a bit messy but I couldn't see any other way to do it. (the flange side should face inwards when the bearing is fitted into the wheel)

Last edited:
OK. I am trying to make this post less useless.

Here's a video! Please make sure my setup is correct for me before I install everything!

Maybe someone else will find this useful too since I have yet to see good pictures or video of the proper setup.

mine bearing spacer looks little bit different...It's completely inside the wheel. But I have mag wheels...
Looks like one of these from xs650...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 247
OK, I figured it out. I have it wrong in the video. The flange must be installed from the other side of the wheel (the side with the big bearing), but since I already installed my big bearing I am not going to use the flange or I will cut it down to fit. The purpose is to center the spacer to make the axle easier to insert. Once the axle is in it does nothing.

Where did you get the bearings for your wheels ? Allballs doesn't seem to carry a rear wheel bearing kit for the 400

Back