1978 XS400 2E flat track build

12k? My guess is your tach is off a bit. The torque and hp on these peak around 9-9.5k

It’s hard to think that you would know. Its also hard to think that you’ve got the experience racing and or getting a motor race ready.

If the people on this forum did, they wouldn’t ask me simple questions and have trolling remarks.

My motor ran flawlessly, NEXT!!

Geez dude, what are you sounding butt hurt about? We don't have much race action on this forum, so when we do we have some basic sounding questions. We aren't doubting your statements, but coming from a standpoint of mechanical sympathy for old machines, it's hard to fathom overrevving 30% past redline. Your cryptic remark about reason for over rev on the "cushion half mile" didn't help to explain anything.
That said, I took mine out and gave it a proper thrash around the hills and highways for 4 hours and coming back on the highway at speeds between 75 and 95 (it didn't miss a beat but it was freakin' loud). So color me impressed with this little 180 degree paint shaker.

And I wanna see some video!
motofilmmaker@gmail.com

12k? My guess is your tach is off a bit. The torque and hp on these peak around 9-9.5k

You've got to be floating valves at that engine speed. Obviously not good. Do you check valve lash after every race?

It's hard to think a points ignition would fire well at those rpm's.

Tell me where the basic sounding questions are other than the valve lash?

When you say old machine, it works the same as any engine. They all work the same.

30% past STOCK redline taking in stock assumed air and stock assumed fuel. Mine is a little hot rodded out... also, it was cold (46 degrees F). Compressed air means more fuel needed for the AFR to be within a good ratio.

I’m not going to give all my secrets out but you “over rev” so that when you lay off.... all the weight moves to the front of the bike, then you get right back on it and keep her going through the corner.... the more you over rev, the more it sends the weight forward when you lay off. I didn’t use my brakes.

Again, where are thr simple sounding questions!?!?

This forum sucks like most do because a few butt hurt dudes don’t know much and they try to scare people away from learning.

I don’t have to tell you guys anything you can learn on your own time and dime. The more I learn about engines and atmospheric pressure, the more I realize the guys on the internet don’t know their hand from their foot.

No you can’t have my video, I’m too butt hurt to send it. Build your own bike, grow then balls to race it, and take your own damn video.

Yes, your “forum” sucks like most mechanical forums do. Nothing to learn here! Just a bunch of trolls who are scared to learn.

God bless!

Whatever you think of the members here, you come across as pretty arrogant and thin skinned.
You can choose how to take a comment or question and how to respond.

Clearly the bike ran. Maybe the points don't work as well. The dwell period would be shorter but maybe it made no noticeable difference. I'm guessing even though you were revving to 12k there was probably almost no load on the engine?
Either way, just say it wasn't a problem.
Ditto valve float. You're running your bike harder than 99.9% of riders ever will.
Just say it didn't show any symptoms of valve float.
And relax a little.

It's unfortunate. What you're doing looked pretty cool.

Dude. Are you okay? If you read my comment, I wasn't attacking you. If you read my earlier comment, I was offering help in the form of a fork brace idea. You were writing escalating(ly) reactive responses to people who weren't trolling you. So that was the source of my regrettable remark about being butthurt. That and I (mistakenly) thought you were enough of a grown up to take a tiny bit of corrective jabbing that wasn't directed at your butt (see that's a bit of humor there). I was genuinely interested in what you would discover through racing one of these interesting old bikes. Now though I don't really care, because you don't seem to be genuinely interested in sharing anything.

***DANGER, MORE HUMOR COMING****

It is now apparent, obvious really, that you were recently butt raped by an actual troll from Middle Earth. The signs were all there but sometimes we just don't see the forest for the trees. I did watch this movie/documentary called "Troll Hunter" and maybe you could hire such an expert to track down and dispatch your attacker in the name of justice.

I guess you deleted your comment.
TazioliBuilt said:
Don’t talk to be about engine load, honeslty I barely have a nice reply to that statement!
No load at 75mph in 3rd gear!? Ha! Yes it was still pulling!
not questions to further their lack of knowledge
I know nothing about racing. You did not say what gear you were in or what speed you were doing, only that it was 12,000 rpm.
Share a tiny bit more information initially and maybe I won't have so many "simple questions".
It sounded like you were doing something intentional, specific to racing, which again I know nothing about, so I asked a question about engine load.
Maybe you were intentionally skidding the back wheel rather than accelerating straight. I don't know, so unlike what you're complaining about, I did ask.

Who gives a fuck if I was floating the valves? Maybe I wanted to float the valves and was pumped I got them to float at the time I wanted them to!
Again, we don't race. To non-racers valve float is something to be avoided.
Are you saying you want to float valves?
Not trolling, asking a question.

Do much googling for XS400 information and you'll often end up on this board. It's one of two I'm aware of that are dedicated to the XS400.

The value of message boards like this is in the information archived in old posts and in the new information brought by those with previously unseen knowledge.

You appear to have new knowledge about racing and how the XS400 motor performs in those conditions.
It would be a shame not to share with current and future readers but that's up to you.

The xs400 is a points ignition engine. Tons to google on that.

There is nothing to learn on this forum except for how to properly enhance your ability to troll.

I’ve just made this forum irrelevant.

Sorry but was reading this last night and as the day went on today I see more and more shit talking.........seems to me the only troll on here is you.......once again you say this forum is irrelevant but yet you come back and post.........I read I have a video at least 3 times but well no video? People asked simple questions and you get butt hurt........then read no videos for people.......wow lame.

Plenty of decent things on this forum if you ask me......I have learned a few things since I signed up. Sorry you cant figure it out.......and as stated google the XS400 and well yes this forum pops up a lot.

Soon you as well. Have a nice day sir.

:laugh2: dont feed the trolls now...................

I bet if we were all in front of each other at one of your races, and I made a comment to you about valve floating, you wouldn't be so offended and youd give me a straight up answer. I was curious about it that's all. Go check out the Honda SOHC/4 forums, they over rev their bikes one time and they need to do valve adjustments..

Tell your Dad to get a video of you rolling down a track.. Id honestly like to see the 400 wide open heading into a turn.

Back