1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

1978 XS400-2E Intro and Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bcware, Feb 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bcware

bcware Well-read Top Contributor

New handle bars
    New grips
    Seat reworked slightly
    Side covers installed
    New push-rod oil seal
    New kickstand

I installed the new push-rod oil seal and used some Threebond on it; this seems to have solved my issues with oil leaking. After a 2 hour long ride I let it sit for several hours. I noticed a single drop below the bike, but I am not even 100% sure it isn't just residual oil that was already on the bike. Either way it is a huge improvement. Previously I was losing a tablespoon or so when I parked it.

The new handlebars and riding position are great; no complaints.

It looks like I broke my front brake light switch at the lever; I guess I yanked on the cable when I put the new bars on. Oops!

The new seat cushion is not very good; too firm! My butt hurt after an hour or so. I need to come up with some new ideas.

I bought an XT225 kickstand and it sort of worked, but not really. It's about the right length, but it isn't at the right angle. The spring anchor is on the wrong side and there are some fitment issues with the pivot bolt holding it on.

I am strongly considering buying a welder; I need to flatten the seating area so I can make a better seat. I'd also be able to lengthen the stock kickstand and center stand...

Attached Files:

2. l4ne4

l4ne4 XS400 Enthusiast

Looks good. Black wheels and a chopped front fender would complete this!

My opinion of course.

3. Kdog

Kdog XS400 Enthusiast

nc
    high temp silicone works on these mufflers

4. ksqrly

ksqrly XS400 Aficionado

Utah
    I cant wait to see the tail painted its going to make all the difference

5. bcware

Here is a preview of the seat after I wrapped it. I think it looks much better. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture!

Attached Files:

6. ksqrly

ksqrly XS400 Aficionado

Utah
    Looks good. Have you thought about putting a piece of sheet metal between the seat and tail piece? I think it would look better with the space closed. Just sayin

7. bcware

Yes, I have some ideas kicking around. I'd also like to make a new fender to replace the black plastic one.

8. bcware

Here are some new photos showing the kickstand I had welded and the seat in better light. I told the shop to extend it by 82mm; I guess I did a good job estimating!

I took it for a 50 mile ride and parked it over some paper towels and so far there was not even a drop of oil coming from the push-rod seal area. I am pleased! I also put the side covers back on after taking these pictures and trimmed the plastic fender a little to get it away from the shocks.

Attached Files:

9. Docwits

Docwits XS400 Enthusiast

10. willem

willem XS400 Guru Top Contributor

11. bcware

I'm kind of excited about this. It came from Hotwingglass and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality.

Attached Files:

12. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Looks good:) Nice to have you back:thumbsup:

13. bcware

Thanks Chris, it's good to be back!

I know its far from original, but I like it a lot and I couldn't make one close to this good without spending double in supplies to practice with.

There are more goodies on the way this week :)

14. xschris

That seat is still quite a bit of money tho or did you get a deal on it?

15. bcware

No deals. I paid the full price. It's time for "stage 3." :D

I'm probably never going to sell this motorcycle.

16. xschris

Sound like me and my 80:laugh: A little every year:) I have some big parts coming next week.:D

Attached Files:

• $_3.JPG
      $_3.JPG
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
  17. bcware

Post 'em up as they come in :) It's like a second Christmas!

18. xschris

Added a pic for ya.

19. bcware

All new wheels for it?

20. xschris

Just the front for now. I just put a new tire on the back 16" mag.