1978 XS400-2E Intro and Build

I got the impression from some of your other posts that you were riding this thing. Do you have any new pictures?

Indeed; 1000+ miles since I completed the rebuild. I ride like it's my job. I have been riding for less than a year (including winter) and have accumulated 14,000 miles so far. Maniac? Maybe...

I ended up ditching a few things. The Chinese foot pegs were too small; I was constantly searching for them. The original fiberglass tail was not sturdy enough.

Other than that there has been no drama save for my flasher going crazy; solid to slow to fast. It seems to behave normally when the bike is not running. I am wondering if it is dying or if I have a loose connection. :shrug:

Attachments

• xs400_light.jpg
    xs400_light.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 420
5,000 miles since the rebuild.

The push rod oil seal I replaced appears to be leaking. That will teach me to use a non-oem part!

Points replaced
Condenser replaced
New plugs
New foot peg rubbers
New side stand rubber stopper
New side cover rubbers
Side covers installed
Seat pan modified a bit
New seat cushion
New short stalk DOT approved original style turn signals
MikesXS oval pods
Crank case breather filter
New cable loop on front fender
New ep34 tridon flasher

Attachments

• DSCN0173.jpg
    DSCN0173.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN0175.jpg
    DSCN0175.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN0178.jpg
    DSCN0178.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 414
How I attached a clear tube to my carburetor float bowls:

Remove the spring and ball bearing from metric grease fittings. I used a hook and pick set combined with tiny needle-nose pliers to fish out the springs.

How I attached my seat pan:

Make a fiberglass seat pan.

Attach cushion to seat pan with Extreme Velcro. This stuff is ridiculously strong and is advertised as adhering to porous outdoor surfaces like brick.

Line the bottom of the pan with a memory foam mat designed for standing on concrete floors. Glue the foam mat pieces on with Shoe Goo. When tested the foam tears before the glue fails. I cannot weld and this was the best way for me to get the pan to lie evenly on the rails. The seating area on the frame is not very flat.

Drills holes.

Run 14" zip ties through the holes (I bought some rated for 50-75 lbs each).

Attach to frame rails.

Attachments

• DSCN0164.jpg
    DSCN0164.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN0160.jpg
    DSCN0160.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0158.jpg
    DSCN0158.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN0156.jpg
    DSCN0156.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN0154.jpg
    DSCN0154.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN0150.jpg
    DSCN0150.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 334
Deffinitly a great thread, I read through the entire thing n took many notes so when I get my bike to this point I have half a clue or better to what I need to do n how to do it =] I appreciate the time and detail you put in! I have to swap the bottom case cuz I have a broken kick start shaft mount inside

Hey, Bcware,
Are you still running those shorty mufflers with the stock baffles? I found them to be restrictive because of the 1'' inlet and outlet size on the baffle. I'm working on some 1 3/4 inlet/outlet baffles that will move the exhaust gasses through a series of holes equivalent to the flow area of the 1 1/2'' exhaust pipes. If I am correct they will be quieter than the shorties out of the box and will definitely have a deeper, less snappy tone. If you want I'll let you know how they come out and if they will mandate jet changes. Might not be for a few weeks though. Your bike looks great!

I haven't noticed any restriction from the outlets; they are actually quite large compared to stock pipes. I was actually thinking they may be too large.

The oem 2-2 exhaust on my Ninja 500 has outlets the size of a dime. The outlets on my xs400 with these pipes is 4 to 5 times larger.

Let me know how your modification goes.

I will be doing more work on this motorcycle soon; it's just been too damn cold here with highs around 15 F.

Also, the videos I have posted don't do the exhaust any justice. The tone is actually quite low and deep; my laptop microphone cannot pick up these sounds.

Update:

New tail light. No one will believe how much it cost me.

Getting elbow deep into this tail section. I have never really worked with metal before but I am pleased so far. There is still more to do, however.

Also, the battery box and electrics tray has been mocked up.

Attachments

• DSCN0430.JPG
    DSCN0430.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN0429.JPG
    DSCN0429.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN0428.JPG
    DSCN0428.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCN0427.JPG
    DSCN0427.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCN0426.JPG
    DSCN0426.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN0425.JPG
    DSCN0425.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCN0431.JPG
    DSCN0431.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCN0432.JPG
    DSCN0432.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 302
Got the baffles built and installed. Noisier than anticipated but still quieter than the original baffles. Fuel mixture went leaner too. Idle mixture had to go about 3/4 turn richer. Haven't done final jetting on mains because I haven't ridden it yet. Need to finish brakes and clutch control first. Working on brakes now. Yours see
ms to be coming along well. Keep up the good work!

Update:

New fuse box
All crimp connections removed; everything is now soldered and shrink wrapped.
Battery tray is messy, but contains everything
New speedo cable
New tach cable
New chain
New front sprocket
New rear sprocket
Stator cover was resealed and the gasket was replaced
Oil drained and oil filter replaced
Spokes adjusted and one was replaced on the rear wheel
Tail section finalized, but not yet painted
Front and rear wheels removed, cleaned, and the brake shoes were inspected
Front and rear brakes adjusted

Attachments

• DSCN0455.JPG
    DSCN0455.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0454.JPG
    DSCN0454.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN0451.JPG
    DSCN0451.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN0435.JPG
    DSCN0435.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 330
awesome! after a long time working on your bike i could imagine your more than satisfied =] ik i would be if my xs400 looked like yours !

Update!

New speedo and tach
New front cowl (it's my Ninja 500's rear fender lol!)
New, custom front end (head light ears and brackets)
Mac 2-1 exhaust
New seat cushion
New 14.4" shocks
Clip-on handle bars

Holy crap are the ergonomics bad with these clip-ons. It is unfortunate, but I am going to have to run different bars. Riding with them is just miserable! I didn't change the jetting for the mac system; 145 mains and a 45 pilots worked fine. There is still a small oil leak on the left side. Since I just replaced the stator gasket and sealed that engine cover with Threebond I am thinking the push-rod seal is to blame.

Here are the latest pictures:

Attachments

• 2013_1.jpg
    2013_1.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 2013_2.jpg
    2013_2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 2013_3.jpg
    2013_3.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 339
I figured out the problem; I have zero pullback on the bars are they are in that photo. The bolts that hold the clip-ons to the forks will not clear the gas tank on full lock any other way.

Lesson learned! I already ordered new bars and an XT side stand. I'm going with dirt bike bars :) The looks aren't worth the discomfort.

The front cowl/fairing is the fender from my Kawasaki Ninja 500! I saved it when I cut it off; it's the perfect size. I just did a little trimming and attached it to the head light ears with metal brackets.

Back