1978 XS400-2E

I wouldn't try it with mixed jets. 45 pilots should be acceptable for most setups.

1. Try turning the idle mix screws out more; 3.5 or 4.5, etc.

2. Check that your floats do not have any holes.

3. Clean the pilot passages again.

Even if it is a little lean, it should still run without choke. I forget what your intake/exhaust setup is, but, like I said, the bike should still run.

Little update. With pics just because.

My exhaust is from Dime City Cycles, put 45 pilots back in. When I took carbs off to inspect last time I noticed one of the air mix screw's needle all the way in. Looks like it broke off when I tightened them down the other day. So will be ordering another set of those if I can find them.

Flipped bars because I couldn't do much else with the carbs today and wanted to see how it looked
22647e13.jpg

Too low on the controls so switched back tho
9fa511a4.jpg

Is the broken tip still stuck in the little hole? That will definitely cause problems!

It looks pretty clean; slightly lower bars (I run euros) would look awesome. Bar end mirrors also help to clean it up and, generally, improve visibility.

Yea unfortunately it is. I am going to try to get it out tomorrow. And I was originally thinking clubmans but the cafe look is way overdone and also i didn't care for that low of a posture. I've actually been thinking euros or possibly superbars. You have any recent pics of your 2e?

These are euro bars:

Attachments

• DSCN0173.JPG
    DSCN0173.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN0178.JPG
    DSCN0178.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 309
you can push the broken tip through with a ground down nail ,as thin as you can. It will open the hole a bit.

Done it myself and all the "pro's" said I needed new carbs doing that.

back at ya! they run A1 :D

Thanks guys. With any luck I will get the tip out tonight. I'm searching for replacements but on bike bandit they're listed as pilot screws. Part 25 on that page. Also they're $22. :eek:

Anybody got any from somewhere else? And am I calling it the right thing? I thought it was the air mix screw, then idle screw. Now it's pilot screw?

I apologize for all of my double posting but I was reading this thread and I wanted to make sure on the pilot jets, are those screwed out any? I'm a little confused now with the whole unscrewing "pilot" and "mix" and "idle" screws.

Those are all names for the same thing. Idle mixture screws, pilot screws, etc. There is an idle speed (rpm) screw as well, but that is totally different.

If anyone mentions "number of turns out," they are talking about the idle mixture screws; that is, the thing you broke and jammed in the hole!

The actual pilot "jet" is the tiny brass guy that screws in under the brass cap inside the float bowls (42.5, 45, etc).

Finally felt like dealing with my issue of the broken tip.
6390c060.jpg

Got it out without damaging the hole or making it any bigger than the other side
da2762ae.jpg

8b6fa2cf.jpg

I know they look the same but that's the point lol

I used sewing needles and ended up breaking a couple
6946ebca.jpg

This is what it took:
58406746.jpg

I have new screws on the way from PowerSportsPlus.com. And I also ordered a manual petcock from MikesXS.

Switching gears, I'm looking for some grips that look like old school bicycle grips to put on some euros I will be putting on the bike. As in this picture. I've looked on Amazon and some bike websites but I can only find ones with the finger grooves. Anybody have any suggestions on what these would be called. I've been searching "vintage" and "classic" bike grips. I suppose I could use grip tape and wrap to my desired thickness?

Got my new fuelcock and idle screws in today.

9655e939.jpg

1848dbc1.jpg

Really hope to get her running tomorrow!

In other news I have some main jets I ordered from Dime City Cycles and got the wrong kind. They are the hex kind here
87966769.jpg

145, 150, 155. Anyone have any use for them and they're yours for shipping. Figured since I'd have to Pay to ship them back anyways someone could get a deal.

Got my euro bars put on and they are pretty groovy :thumbsup:! Just barely shorter than the original, just enough to extend my arms out more and lean over if i am scooted back on the seat.:bike:

drewpy, its fuel line from Dime City Cycles. I hope its ok, as its made for fuel.:D

My next project is my chain. It's loose and I can't push the wheel back to tighten it anymore as its all the way back already so i'm going to remove a link as soon as I can. And hopefully in the not so distant future get a new chain and sprockets. I thought it would be ok, but when i'm pulling off (taking off?) it feels(to me anyways) like its doing a weird catching thing, like the slack of a rope being taken up, so i'm hoping that is the problem. After that is taken care of I will feel confident in my bike enough to bring her home and take the lady for a spin on her. She still hasn't got to ride on my new bike!!:yikes:

Picture time:

New bars. Still need mirrors
e9249686.jpg

Got some marine vinyl and reupholstered my ugly faded ripped maroon seat
f6871f25.jpg

Not bad if I do say so myself

Now still need new chain and sprockets as mine are super wore out. Also needs some minor adjusting on the carbs. Runs and starts ok but while on a ride, feels like it might die while I'm stopped. I'm also having the same issue I read in an older thread of hanging revs. Throttle cable doesnt stick. I can rev it up but takes a couple seconds to go back down.

Slow to return to idle or hanging rpms usually means you're too lean, you have an air leak, or your pilot circuit is still dirty.

Good job on the seat.

How do you like the bars?

Your float height is 26mm, correct?

Back