1980 xs400 got the dash lights, now no start

camoky

XS400 Member
Reaction score
ok so back story. bought this bike 10 yrs ago. 3 yrsago I moved from Cali to utah and gave the bike to a friend since it's basically a riding project. it ran then. last month I took it back from him, he hadnt registered it and the reg fees were piling up in my name still. so now shes home and I'm looking forward to ride her again.

what I've done so far:
1) removed the carbs, 1 was pristine. 1 was so bunked up the float would t move. when I had her running 3 yrs ago she would only run on choke, now I see why. so completely tore apart the carbs, bran new jets, needle, needle seat valves. put cleaned carbs back on the bike.

2) basic tune up. new plugs, new oil, new oil filter

3) new battery

4) new ignition switch (friend I gave her to lost the keys) used to have a universal switch, new has an OEM original with fork lock

5) new start solenoid

I wasnt getting any of the idiot lights (neutral light, oil light, turn signal indicator). so I asked all of you guys. followed the suggestions, cleaned ground wires, traced wires through the loom, cleaned the fuse holders (I've got a brand new blade style fuse holder on its way) and lo and behold....dash lights! tail light!...still no headlight, but that is minor.

But she still won't start. I broke the kick starter, just the outside portion you actually kick, the clamp broke. so I just crossed the contacts on the starter solenoid. I checked for spark at the plugs and have it......so why won't she start? I've got fuel, fire, and air. what am I missing here guys?

Attachments

• 20180617_202242.jpg
    20180617_202242.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 20180701_154716.jpg
    20180701_154716.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 159
ok, so I shot some starter fluid in and was able to get it to kick over. yay! but it wont stay running. I checked the carb bowls and they have fuel in them......so I know the issue is somewhere in the carbs I guess. any ideas anyone?

Sometimes you have to wait a moment for fuel flow. Have you checked your petcock filter! Do you run an in-line fuel filter? It won’t start without good grounding....

tried again today and got it running on ether but not gas. I dont run an online filter but am planning on adding one. if I turn the petcock to "pri" fuel flows freely, but she still wont start on her own.

FULLY disassemble the carbs and clean/rebuild. If fuel is in the bowls but the plugs are dry somthing is not working like it should. Make sure all the tiny holes in the bowls and carbs are clean, floats are set to 26mm like they should, idle mix screws are set to 3 turns out from seated...... There are threads on carb rebuilds and setups.

Did you replace the pilot jet rubber plug with new ones?

Attachments

• 20180701_154716.jpg
    20180701_154716.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 141
These start really easily for me after a carb clean. I use safety wire and also electrical wire (14 gauge) to clean the passages. Then I spray with carb cleaner and compressed air. Lots of small holes in the carb but still easy to fix. Always one kick or two for me regardless of jetting. Sync is really important at idle.

Back