1980 XS400

Figured out my rear sprocket dilemma...the thickness of the powder coating added enough material that it wouldn't allow the retaining clips to be installed. Removed the powder coating if a few critical areas and everything fit together just fine. Off to get tires tomorrow

how long are those mufflers and did you leave the headers stock?
The mufflers are just about 17 1/2" long and I used the stock headers but cut them down. The length they ended up primarily had to do with the accessibility of a spot to mount a tab on the frame to attach the header to.

Last edited:
The 16" and 18" wheels sure limit the tires available, I wanted to go with a dual sport looking tire but no go. And the local bike shop I go to tells me the Duro tires are not available for a 16" wheel. I think those guys are on crack though since I've seen them for sale on line from a number of companies.

Been awhile since I posted, been busy with work and just getting some parts together.

I ended up painting the frame over the weekend, came out pretty good for rattle can.

tumblr_n5653gACpq1rriuweo1_500.jpg

Tires finally came in and mounted em up on freshly powder coated wheels.

tumblr_n5653gACpq1rriuweo2_1280.jpg

Hopefully on Saturday i get a big chunk of the reassembly done, just hope I remember how everything goes back together!

Started assembly today and everything went fine except for my chain install. I bought new front and rear sprockets but when I went to install the chain it binds on the front sprocket. If feels like the chain is too wide, I went with a RK 530 "RX" chain.

Any ideas on this one?

"RX" does that mean o-ring? If so o-ring chains will rub on the cases on these bikes. They are wider that the standard chain.

DID makes nice chains. I use one with a rivet link. Have had it on for over a year and have only had to adjust it once, it barely stretches.

Back