1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II Cafe Build

Mini_Toasts

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So here's the first post of hopefully many. My bike is a 1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II that I plan on making into a cafe style bike. Figured I should start a build thread in order to help keep track of stuff.

So at this point I'm in the gathering/collecting stage. I've decided to fab my own seat out of fiberglass and marine grade vinyl upholstery plus bits. Today I went and bought most of the stuff i'll need. I got 8" foam cubes from Michaels, upholstery from Johann Fabrics, and fiberglass and resin from a marine shop. all told, you're looking at about $150 in one picture. I'm gonna go with the Dime City Cycles approach as far as seat fab.

Pt. 1 of 2.

Also ordering up some new slip on exhausts from DCC. I like the look of their stuff, what can i say? :thumbsup:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/satin-black-17-inch-shorty-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler.html

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 516
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 482
Well, I haven't posted in a while being busy with college and work, but last week was chop day! Stripped most of the back end off of the bike, including the rear foot pegs. Now i'm waiting on my rear hoop to be bent up and my custom upper suspension mounts to get back from the laser cutter. It pays off to work in a fabrication shop :)

I've ridden her to college a few times already (January in Washington isn't the best riding time) and she's done freeway duty well. The clubmans help with the weight distribution, but its not exactly the most stable ride at 75 mph :laugh:

Other major improvements include carb sync, heat wrapped pipes, and installed DCC mufflers. This sucker just got loud. Also made some custom aluminum foot pegs i'm gonna mount up in conjunction with shortened gear shift and brake pedals. Decided not to go the rearset route based on what felt comfortable. Rear foot pegs are gone as well. This ain't no two seater passenger bike anymore.

Included are pics. This week should yield a new welded up rear hoop and upper suspension mounts. Tried to clean up the back section as much as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0316_2.jpg
    IMG_0316_2.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg