1980G The Phoenix

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have started a new build from another bike that I own. I thought it was an XS250, as that's what the PO told me but XSChris set me straight on it. It is a 1980G but it had no title and a lot of rust on the rear frame. I was able to find a titled frame cheap and I am now going to build this from the ground up. So, from the ashes springs the Phoenix, alive in the flames. I just got some new digs cleared out so I can work inside. I'm not sure exactly what we will do with this, but I do know I will replace the seat and bob the fenders at least. They aren't in great shape so it will be like a mercy killing.... Here are a few shots of the start up...you'll understand the flames thing.

Attachments

• flam3.jpg
    flam3.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 349
  • flam5.jpg
    flam5.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 345
  • flam6.jpg
    flam6.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 324
  • flam7.jpg
    flam7.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Flam22.jpg
    Flam22.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 350
  • flam1.jpg
    flam1.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 345
New frame from too much rust? You might have trouble with the VINs being different Im not sure. NY and CT seem to be really nuts about DMV stuff which is why I registered my bike elsewhere.

New frame from too much rust? You might have trouble with the VINs being different Im not sure. NY and CT seem to be really nuts about DMV stuff which is why I registered my bike elsewhere.
I didn't replace the frame for rust, it didn't have a title so I went with another frame.Which is much cleaner.
I have title already. In NY the frame is titled, you are allowed to replace motors which would have a different serial number.Same as buying new lower cases.

Last edited:
Enjoy the build! It definitely looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Sometimes I wish I could find bikes in that condition to be honest. That way, I wouldnt feel bad about painting the tank with my own color or cutting the frame etc.

I enjoy the journey.It can be frustrating at times but the end results are satisfying. This one is already kicking my butt with having to do a cylinder head overhaul complete with valve guides and such. Unplanned expenses and time lost are what upsets the apple cart when you are on a fixed income. Thankfully, as a musician I am occasionally able to scramble and gig to cover costs! Down times make me consider things like frame and/or engine painting while I wait:laugh::umm::hump:

Before I go any further let's take a look at the kickstart journal...seems good, so does the mechanism
flam24.jpg

Enjoy the build! It definitely looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Sometimes I wish I could find bikes in that condition to be honest. That way, I wouldnt feel bad about painting the tank with my own color or cutting the frame etc.
The first thing I do is get rid of the factory seat. IT is not comfortable to me, nor do I like the way it looks. I have a short inseam and with the factory seat I barely reach the ground with both feet. The flatter seat helps the profile and definitely lowers the stance so it is comfortable for me.

I am waiting for valve guides to get here, I found someone to machine the head for me at a great price. I have spent the last couple days cleaning up crusty parts and they clean up surprisingly well. It seems the oil and gunk has preserved the metal underneath, kind of like a 30mph undercoating! I am going to take a look at replacing the fork seals and such tomorrow, also putting the swingarm back together with new bushings. This build is a lot easier with what I learned the first time through, and the fact that I disassembled one to transfer the parts. I need handlebar controls but have virtually everything else I need to go back together once the head is back....oh, and a seat!

Well you are ahead of me in the game.........hell I am still trying to figure out where I want to go.......waiting on some tubing and need to break out the cut wheel.......I figure winter is almost here so I have at least6 months so not in a big hurry.......

Well you are ahead of me in the game.........hell I am still trying to figure out where I want to go.......waiting on some tubing and need to break out the cut wheel.......I figure winter is almost here so I have at least6 months so not in a big hurry.......
I am retired on disability. I need something to do...plus I had an idea going in as to what I wanted to do.

Last edited:
Well I say since your calling it the Phoenix you need a flaming bird on the tank :laugh2: something like the firechickens from the 70s..............

I had considered that. I was going to keep the deep purple and gold tank but I might go a different direction. I spent last evening considering colors. this is the tank now...
flam1.jpg

It's a cool tank as it is. I would give it a good polish and call it good. It looks like it was done with the proper paint and clear. Not a cheap rattle can.

What a pain in the ass re-installing the kick start gear can be. I think I got it in right -finally.

Well, I wanted to sure the darn thing was sound. When I pulled the cover it basically fell out...now I had to endure the joy of reinstallation. I hope I got it right. It will be a very gingerly first attempt I assure you!

Head out for replace the valve guides. Got a call that one broke going in....cha-ching$$$$. Hello Babbitts?

Valve guides replace, everything machined,valve job done....reassembly of motor tomorrow. Should have a motor in a rolling chassis by the time the weekend is over.

Back