1980G The Phoenix

Let me see what size box I need. Hell shipping and a beer works for me ;) I just shipped some parts to out neighbors up north and shipping to US was 7 bucks but no Canada was 24................that's messed up.
Just let me know, shipping to NY. zipcode is 13790....man if you can do it this is huge!

Just let me know, shipping to NY. zipcode is 13790....man if you can do it this is huge!

It will happen I like Priority shipping USPS so either a large or medium box. Will grab one and see what it fits in. Will swing by the post office tomorrow and let you know.

Super! Thanks so much!

Oh wait this is Petes alter ego.................:laugh2:

Does Pete need this or you just trying to spend his money....................

Had to bad that you have 2 log ins on the forum have to give you crap ;)

Oh wait this is Petes alter ego.................:laugh2:

Does Pete need this or you just trying to spend his money....................

Had to bad that you have 2 log ins on the forum have to give you crap ;)
I knew you were going to! For some reason this site won't let me sign in with my phone on the petew account. I tried merging them but couldn't. Back in my "bad boy" stage I used to use Wes Peterson as my name if there was a night of "trouble" ahead.

I knew you were going to! For some reason this site won't let me sign in with my phone on the petew account. I tried merging them but couldn't. Back in my "bad boy" stage I used to use Wes Peterson as my name if there was a night of "trouble" ahead.
I was going to delete the pwweston account but cannot find a way out...."you can checkout any time you want, but you can never leave!"

Last edited:
I was going to delete the pwweston account but cannot find a way out...."you can checkout any time you want, but you can never leave!"
Today I was going to adjust my valves prior to start up. I got 3 of the caps off without incident,the 4th will not budge. I have now stripped the 17mm cap. I have tried PB Blaster and also applied heat to the cap to no avail. I have wasted this cap,thankfully I was able to buy new locally. I have tried tapping along its circumference with a chisel attempting to just break it loose...still nothing. Any suggestions? I worry that if I go to strong it may breakout the threads . What would you guys do?

Today I was going to adjust my valves prior to start up. I got 3 of the caps off without incident,the 4th will not budge. I have now stripped the 17mm cap. I have tried PB Blaster and also applied heat to the cap to no avail. I have wasted this cap,thankfully I was able to buy new locally. I have tried tapping along its circumference with a chisel attempting to just break it loose...still nothing. Any suggestions? I worry that if I go to strong it may breakout the threads . What would you guys do?
well, a combination of bad attitude and never say die has the offending cap removed, have to wait until Monday for its replacement but I can now adjust the valves...here is the cap, all the rest came of very easily with no damage, not this one!
bolt.jpg

Yikes.
Threads in the valve cover ok?
Never had a problem myself but maybe put some antiseize on the new one.

Yeah, I was really worried about the threads but once I got it to move it spun right out. I chased the threads and have it ready when the new cover gets here. Pretty ugly,huh?

Make sure your using the correct closed end wrench when removing or tightening them caps. I have never had one do that before even on motors that sat for 30 yrs. A bit of motor oil on the threads and o-ring with help keep them from sticking and they only need about 15lbs of torque them seat them good.

Make sure your using the correct closed end wrench when removing or tightening them caps. I have never had one do that before even on motors that sat for 30 yrs. A bit of motor oil on the threads and o-ring with help keep them from sticking and they only need about 15lbs of torque them seat them good.
I was using the correct box end wrench, the other three were fine. I have an oil can that I drip from when i reassemble parts so I should be okay. I have invested in expanding my tools to include a full complement of metric wrenches, 1/4 inch and 3/8 torque wrenches, and JIS screwdrivers. Invariably there has been one or 2 bolts that have given me trouble. I have read where others have had threads actually break on these caps so I was a bit worried. I ordered a new one( with o ring) and that should solve the issue. Thanks Chris.

Dang..............to bad it didn't happen a while ago I would have tossed one in the box :laugh2: I have a few lying around.........

well, the last wire is connected and the last nut torqued. Got to get someegas and give it a kick over tomorrow...from the ashes the Phoenix
tracker2.jpg
tracker3.jpg
tracker 4.jpg

Biggest stumbling block was the kickstarter. Must've tried 30 times. I walked away and did the rest of the bike and tried it Tuesday and it went right in!

I have that issue now................I pulled the cover off to replace with one with no oil sight and the shaft came out with it............thought I had it in right and well the kick starter just doesn't work like it used to.......sucks I need to pull it apart again.

I have that issue now................I pulled the cover off to replace with one with no oil sight and the shaft came out with it............thought I had it in right and well the kick starter just doesn't work like it used to.......sucks I need to pull it apart again.
I feel your pain. Careful, don't crack the journal.

Back