1981 xs 400 low budget build

Hawkeye

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a really nice xs. I'm third owner on it and its got 27k on the
odometer. I'm planning a low as I can go budget bobber build. I paid 400 for the bike.
My plan is to have bare bones, no frills bobber when im done. No new parts ( aside
from tires, brake shoes) everything else will be refab, swap meet or original. My final
goal is to be under 700.00 all in. This will be a two stage build Stage one will be bobbing
the bike. Stage two later on down the line will be home made foot clutch and jocky shift.
Stage two will happen later on because if got two boys getting ready to be of riding age
and im going to teach them on this ( better than my 1700 right?). Bike runs great all
systems are working perfectly with exception of left side turn signals ( believe a drive way
drop is somewhere in its history) and the horn ( who needs it any way). Heres a pic of the
starting point. I hope you will enjoy taking this journey with me. Im super excited about it!

Attachments

• XS 400.jpg
    XS 400.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 489
Welcome to the forum, looks like you have a good start there.
Are you planning on hard-tailing the frame or going with a drop seat/brat style and keeping the shocks?

Thanks Blu. For now keeping shocks, fab up
a seat pan have old tractor style solo seat
to use. On stage 2 when go to foot clutch will hard tail. Want to keep it user friendly
while my boys are still learning on it.

I kept the shocks on my build too, trying to wrap her up by the end of the month for a ride with my club beginning of April. I wanna do a foot clutch at some point too.

Got a buddy with a 650 v-star who did it and loved it. He ended up changing it back but he lives close to Chicago and the traffic is crazy so I don't blame him lol.

yeah they are tricky critters to ride. you gotta get real good at balancing on your right leg
all the time. It doesn't take long though , I ride it now and I don't even put left foot down
any more, even if in neutral. Thank goodness they are so light.

Update, engine tranny , drive line are all in great running order. did a long ride to check
her all out and she runs like a top, fires on first kick , and electric start seems to be
in good order as well. We had a cold snap here so she sat in the building for a bout a week
and half went out to check worried cause I had forgot to plug un battery tender. she fired right
up.
First stage of project I have removed all fender, seat, lights , bars, signals. measured and marked
where ill be cutting the rear of frame off. Im heading out tomorrow to pick up my seat, bars and
tank ill be using for the build. Ill be offering up some of the parts coming off her if any one needs
for their resto or build. Ill list them later in the appropriate folder.
xs 400 tear down stage 1.jpg
stripped.jpg
XS 400.jpg
stripped.jpg

Good idea to post the stuff you take off. I may even pick up a few things.

update, bobbed rear frame, painted shocks. moved coil packs to accommodate new tank.
test fitting tank and seat. making seat pan and mounting tank this week. The bars in the photos
are for just moving the bike around, their too big ( diameter) ordered some 7/8 5" mini apes
should be here Friday. Have to fab a mount for my model A ford tail light and rework the turn
signals. I have a bunch of spare parts im using from a 600 VLX I gave my brother and
various old stuff if collected over the years. So far im at 540.00 in the budget.
Frame cutting.jpg bobbed tail.jpg stripped.jpg painted shocks.jpg tank and seat placement.jpg

did battle with the tank for awhile yesterday eve, stripped out the brass pet cock, almost
didn't get it back out. Lesson learned run a tap thru an old piece first to clean the threads out.
painted wheels and fork lowers. got my tank issue taken care of today at lunch. a quick trip
to advance auto parts to get the tap I needed. back to work this evening on plumbing tank
and mock up to drill the mounting holes. Bars are coming tomorrow I hop this weekend
to have them and the controls mounted along with tank. then on to the head light. Also played
around with dulling the chrome surfaces.painted rear wheel.jpg painted rear wheel part ii.jpg painted front and fork lowers.jpg playing with wrap  and dulled out muffler.jpg

I hope your going to replace them tires soon. They look a little bit worn;) When you do I would replace the rim bands and tubes as you would have no idea how old they are. Also a true and balance would be a good idea. You would be amazed on how far off some of these old wheels can be.

Yep, ive got new tires, tubes and bands in garage, trying to get the harder stuff done first. Whenever new tires go on i wants to ride!!!!

got new bars and controls on, have to look at throttle some more , its sticking, not snapping back like it should.
the headlight off the 78 pe 250 I wanted to use isn't deep enough to accommodate that mess of wiring that has
to go in the headlight so I took a leather pouch filled it with kitty litter set the old headlight on it and pounded all
the dents out with some rubber body work hammers. ground the paint off brushed the surface and the result
it pretty sweet. I do have to get another lense for it though. im looking around to find the ol 5 inch one off my
1700 roadstar to see if it will work. didn't like the seat pan painted so I made it brushed metal as well. I need
to get the tank mounted this week, im fabbin up a brace for under the tank since the rear has to be elevated
so it will be straight. im also looking at doing a bobbed rear fender cause if I hit a bump and come off the seat
id like to keep my balls.
stripped and polished head light..jpg stripped and polished seat pan.jpg New Bars.jpg

Update
got tank mounted this weekend, throttle working part time , works but doesn't always snap back as it should.
fabbing up rear fender mount gonna do a strut mount set up so it moves with swing arm. note to self , need to concentrate on
one thing at a time, my eagerness has caused me to get a lot of work done , but nothings completely done. bike is at about
75 percent complete at moment.. need to focus, gonna start at from and work my way back complete something before
moving on to next thing always works best.. a note on the budget, im at $596.00 all in at this point. I have everything I need to
finish , just need to finish. lol

got fork brace ( cut down fender) done, cut and installed inner rear fender, measuring /making strut mounts for rear fender and got tank mounted, need to clean it and run fuel lines.brushed gas cap.jpg fork brace.jpg rear inner fender.jpg rear under fender brace.jpg tank mounted.jpg

haven't updated in awhile, build is near finished. got a couple turn signals left to wire
then replace throttle cable and she's ready for the road. here's some recent photos.
Im going to have some original parts available for any one who needs for an 81 xs 400 special II

Attachments

• IMG_20170804_180147765_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170804_180147765_HDR.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20170804_180234413_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170804_180234413_HDR.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20170804_180136164_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170804_180136164_HDR.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_20170804_180158828_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170804_180158828_HDR.jpg