1981 xs400: Front Brakes and Intake Questions

Chase

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my names Chase and I just bought my first bike! I am the proud third owner of a 1981 xs400 with 2300 miles, it seemed like a good deal until I realized how hacked up it was (broken bolts, torn apart wires, missing stuff). It starts on the first kick but dies at idle after warm, doesn't have strong bottom end and sputters on the top end (I think its running rich). I plan on rejetting the carbs after I get the other issues sorted out to pass inspection. Which brings me to my two questions regarding intake and front brakes.

A little background: I am a self taught mechanic and not the strongest when it comes to small engines. Most of my experience is wrenching on diesels (tractors, heavy equipment, and trucks), but I do have some experience working on snowmobiles (EFI) and single carb 4-wheelers (little intimidated about the dual carbs). That being said I am a quick learner, so thanks in advance for the help!

Intake: It currently has K&N cones attached straight to the carbs and before I start rejetting the carbs I want to figure out the intake. I already ordered an H-pipe, but should I be trying to piece together factory intake or should I just go with UNI's and 6sigma rejet kit? Or other options??

Front Brakes: My second issue is the PO took off the front brakes and I am not sure how to rewire them (I couldn't figure it out on diagrams). Specifically, I am not sure where the connector in the middle of the brake line goes to (Blue circle below) and where the brake wires plug in (red circle).

Also any other opinions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5970.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7449.JPG
    IMG_7449.JPG