1981 XS400 Special Build

kelevra67

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here. I bought an 81 xs400 special a year or so ago and am just now getting around to working on it to get it into running condition. I wanna do a basic custom wiring to it and also the rear wheel is currently locked up, dunno if its the trans or the brakes. Any and all suggestions would be amazing, I've worked on cars extensively and even owned my own race team but bikes are relatively new to me.

Any power to check for neutral light? Also, just learn to feel for neutral to see if that frees it. Otherwise need to remove rear wheel to open up drum brake. Watch videos and download the Haynes manual from this site

In my (limited experience), if the trans is stuck in gear, the rear wheel will be "locked" but still have a little of play in it, maybe an inch or two in rotation. If the rear brakes are locked, it won't budge at all.

Quick way to tell would be to remove the chain.

In my (limited experience), if the trans is stuck in gear, the rear wheel will be "locked" but still have a little of play in it, maybe an inch or two in rotation. If the rear brakes are locked, it won't budge at all.

Quick way to tell would be to remove the chain.
The rear wheel did have some play into it but not much. I'll get the chain off as soon as I can to check that out.

Any power to check for neutral light? Also, just learn to feel for neutral to see if that frees it. Otherwise need to remove rear wheel to open up drum brake. Watch videos and download the Haynes manual from this site
Unfortunately the wiring is shot so nothing currently turns on which is also why I'd like to do a custom harness to it.

Back