1981 XS400 Special II Cafe Racer Build

riotten22

Nick Cook
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am new to the XS400 forum and thought i would share my xs400 special II cafe build. Check out my do the ton link for all the details to date. Installing a Benjies Cafe Dolphin tank / seat combo, ordered it for an xs650 so we will see how much frame modification will be needed for it to fit. I will need to relocate the coils for sure...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32386.0

2012-02-10_13-48-46_735.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks, Just playing around with exhaust designs right now. I want high pipes but they are going to end up being right where my legs are on the rear sets so may need to figure something out for a heat shield.

Saw the DTT thread a while ago. Can't wait to see bodywork fitted. Nice progress!
Hah, looked at your parts list, I am doing the same thing, so far 1.6k euros w/ bike,

Saw the DTT thread a while ago. Can't wait to see bodywork fitted. Nice progress!
Hah, looked at your parts list, I am doing the same thing, so far 1.6k euros w/ bike,

Ya the Benjies stuff and my Wheels / Tires have been the big budget killers so far. This is my second cafe build and with this one there is a specific look I want and that means some expensive parts.

Looks good with the fat tires. How well does the rear frame loop clear the tires when the shocks are compressed?

Ya I haven't tested that yet but I knew right away that the 1 inch of clearance wasnt going to cut it so I ordered a set of 14.5" shocks, hopefully that will give me enough room

Well the fiberglass tank and seat arrived today. Bad news is the tank doesnt fit on the xs400 triple spar frame. Some real modifications are going to need to take place now i guess ;( Anyone have any suggestions for removing the two side rails on the frame? Can i get away with fabbin up something to mount the engine mount to the center frame rail if I remove the two outside rails ?

No going back now. Hacked the frame in multiple places to level out the two side tubes, its the only way this tank is going to work. Going to be a lot of welding but I think in the end it just might work. Since I had to hack the motor mount tubes I am going to try and drill holes in the side frame rails and run bolts through the motor mount. Also need to figure out where I am going to mount the ignition coils. This just went from a big project to an FML huge project.

2012-02-20_20-09-31_726.jpg

2012-02-20_20-09-49_744.jpg

2012-02-20_20-10-17_733.jpg

2012-02-20_19-41-54_38.jpg

it won't work, its tight as standard.

May have to find a way of dropping the down tubes

You know the two cross tubes that the motor mount was originally secured to are gone now so that may make the difference? Heres to hoping i dont have to take the engine out :) That is one of my criteria when starting a project is that all the engine / mechanical is in good working condition because taring into an engine is not my fortay. But the way this project is going I will be cussing when the engine needs to come out.

it looked like you were to reweld them back lower to fit the tank. If they are totally gone. no issues there!

Well still plugging away at the frame mods. Welded the tank / seat mount in, got the electronics pan ready to go and relocated the ignition coils to the front. Now on to getting the electronics to fit under the seat, easier said than done... Here is some updated pics:

2012-02-26_18-34-47_964.jpg

2012-02-26_19-48-21_503.jpg

2012-02-26_19-48-56_576.jpg

2012-02-26_18-31-48_315.jpg

Back