1981 XS400 Special II Cafe Racer Build

Bike looks great!!! And I'm sorry about the wait. I was doing them as a side job after the day job, and OT was killing me. I don't have the day job anymore (quit to pursue my own fab shop) and I'll be building them to stock and ship quickly.
I'm concerned with the one side lean. Which side is running lean. I'd like to work out that issue for future builds. I don't have a flowbench to test them on so any input is appreciated.

Bike looks great!!! And I'm sorry about the wait. I was doing them as a side job after the day job, and OT was killing me. I don't have the day job anymore (quit to pursue my own fab shop) and I'll be building them to stock and ship quickly.
I'm concerned with the one side lean. Which side is running lean. I'd like to work out that issue for future builds. I don't have a flowbench to test them on so any input is appreciated.

The left side runs lean and not much you can do because of the 180 degree crank from what I have found online.

Ya the Benjies stuff and my Wheels / Tires have been the big budget killers so far. This is my second cafe build and with this one there is a specific look I want and that means some expensive parts.
What tires are those?

nevermind, saw your parts list haha sorry

Last edited:
You work fast and your build progress had came along ways in a short time.I wanted to chime in on the mounting the motor but you got it taken care of already.I, was going to suggest cutting the mount from a seca or maxium but like I said you took care of the idea already,great work.

I know this is a really old thread, but for fixing the left cylinder lean-ness could you add a more restrictive baffle to the left exhaust to make it run richer?

Back