1981 xs400 tire size?

kirstie33

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So i just bought a 1981 xs400 it will be my first motorcycle(ive rode dirtbikes a lot so familiar with bikes) and i was wanting to put some shinko 705s on it. But i dont know what size i should go with. im not sure what the tire sizes are that are already on there because im picking it up monday and dont have access to look at it right now. Just wanted some thoughts on sizes:) attached is the link for the beauty i just bought:bike:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4664763954.html

Stock size tires are 90/90-18" front and 120/90-16 rear. It looks like the guy put an oversize rear on it. It may "look" cool but if running a stock size tire the bike will handle much better. I also notice there is no in-line fuel filter from the tank to the carbs you may want to put one on. :) Did you pay the $1500 for it? I hope you got a better deal. I am not sure what they are going for in your area but a xs400 like that is a $1000 bike here. But as long as you are happy with it:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the advice! we settled on $1250. i live in texas and its a good deal because the bike runs great and looks good too. any other advice i would love to hear your thoughts!

Stock size tires are 90/90-18" front and 120/90-16 rear. It looks like the guy put an oversize rear on it. It may "look" cool but if running a stock size tire the bike will handle much better. I also notice there is no in-line fuel filter from the tank to the carbs you may want to put one on. :) Did you pay the $1500 for it? I hope you got a better deal. I am not sure what they are going for in your area but a xs400 like that is a $1000 bike here. But as long as you are happy with it:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum.

do you know where i can get a fuel filter from by chance?

It should work. It will be just a little harder not to have any kinks in the hose.

do you know where i can get a fuel filter from by chance?

HI Chris, can I just check something here. Is it right- you're saying the rear tyre is smaller than the front? I have it that on my xs400 special II that the tyres should be - Front 90/90/18 and Rear - 110/80/80
Found the info here- https://bit.ly/2yLXrgc
Yet, the old rear tyre that's on there now is a -4.60 / 16
Very confused and was just about to order tyres!

Check your rim size. 80-82 sohc xs400 bikes (u.s.) had 16" rear wheels. Some where spoke and others cast aluminum. The spoke rims are 16x2.15 and cast are 16x2.50 . Those use 120/90-16 tires. If you 18" rear rims your tires should be 110/90-18

Back