1981 xs400

Shephard86

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So bought something completely out of my comfort zone but it was local and has already started to be made into cafe racer thing. Any suggestions or good sites to use for parts are appreciated. Its a 1981 xs400 with 23,000 on the clock, i know nothing about this style or year of bike and it hasnt been started for a while but hoping to give it a new life. I am uk based.

Attachments

• IMG_3950.JPG
    IMG_3950.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3951.JPG
    IMG_3951.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 299
So bought something completely out of my comfort zone but it was local and has already started to be made into cafe racer thing. Any suggestions or good sites to use for parts are appreciated. Its a 1981 xs400 with 23,000 on the clock, i know nothing about this style or year of bike and it hasnt been started for a while but hoping to give it a new life. I am uk based.

Well this forum Is lively

I actually live in the states but my plans with my bike are to keep stock with the exception of the exhaust and handle bars.I think eventually Im going to part ways with the bike sometime this summer.

Hey, another UK member just bought 1981. What are you planning?
Not really sure just going through the stripping phase, do one thing and another turns up, just put fuel in and realised the fuel tap is leaking. The petcock I have seems different to others and trying to get new o rings is a pain. When I bought it the fella said it needs new valve stem seals and the timing done. Got it fired up the other day and was only firing on one cylinder, think carb issues as one of the float chambers was empty, spark plug wasnt wet and no smell of fuel. Going to be a nightmare I think. Not over savvy with it all but like to learn as I go and keeps me busy in the evenings. I would love to put a different rear wheel on something a bit fatter, with rear disc, drop the arse end a bit aswell. Any pics or ideas?

Back